Littlerock Dam Calif OHV area reopened. after 5yrs of closure

Littlerock dam OHV area reopened after a 5yr closure due to the impact on the Southwestern Arroyo toad. Littlerock OHV area opened on Saturday and had the old ohv'rs out and running in no time.

Yep, more info please if possible. Below is the most recent info on Littlerock OHV area from the ANF website. Nothing about a re-opening. And notice their estimated date for re-opening, Feb 2003!

LITTLEROCK CREEK CLOSURE

ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST: January 22, 1999

701 N. Santa Anita Ave.

Arcadia, CA 91006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Littlerock Creek Closure

On January 25, 1999, the Angeles National Forest will expand the seasonal closure of Littlerock Creek from Joshua Tree Campground to Sulphur Springs Campground. The expanded boundaries will close Basin Campground in Littlerock Recreation Area, Alimony Ridge OHV Route and approximately 2 1/2 miles of Santiago Canyon above its confluence with Littlerock Creek, prohibiting access year-round to approximately 3,000 acres.

For the past three years the Angeles National Forest has closed portions of Littlerock Creek from spring until the end of September in an effort to protect the habitat for known populations of the endangered Arroyo southwestern toad (Bufo microscaphus californicus) and other aquatic species. This closure was a result of species protection measures implemented to meet the forest's responsibility under the Endangered Species Act.

A 1998 assessment of the effectiveness of the closure concluded that actions to date have not provided adequate protection for the habitat and existing populations of the Arroyo Toad, and the risk for harming one of these endangered creatures is high. The killing of a single toad is a violation of the Endangered Species Act, under which forest managers are held personally responsible. Despite the clearly posted closure, forest visitors continued to enter the closure area. In a single week during the breeding season, forest officers issued nearly 200 citations.

This spring and summer the forest will conduct additional surveys and monitoring efforts to determine the precise location of Toad populations, as well as other listed species, within the closed area. In order to obtain accurate information, the surveys must be repeated over several seasons. For this reason, the closure will remain in place until February of 2003, or until further notice.

-end-

I read an article recently which stated that the city had purchased some land in the Acton area and planned to open another OHV area. This is good news and suggests that in some places, politicians have figured out the obvious. OHV users won't go away, so better to provide legal areas than to deal with lots of outlaw riding.

Littlerock dam is south of LACR against the mountains, exit pearablossom to barrel springs make right and another right on cheeseboro, alot of offroad trucks like to play in the water (mud hole) there are alot of single track running through the hills that drop you into the dam area.

Conditions?? DRY and DUSTY! ? We used to park across cheeseboro next to a couple of tracks that were ok back in the late 80's!

fb028826.jpg

fb02881c.jpg

These pics are about 5-10 from Littlerock dam!

Actually I was up there about a month ago and the dam was more than 3/4 full. Earlier in the year the water was running over top of the dam. I was going to go check it out today ...but the car seat for the son is in the wifes car so I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the directions and info. I hope to check out the area soon.

My buddy lives in that area (Palmdale) and I want to ride Rincon, over the mountains and hook up with him at his place in Palmdale.

Bill, want company? The next few weeks are shot (biz travel), but maybe in late October? I'd also be willing to take a mental health day and skip work. For years, I've wanted to explore getting from the Rincon shortcut across the ANF and into the Antelope Valley. There must be a way.

It's up the 14! On your way to LACR, exit pearablossom make a right on barrel springs and another right on cheeseboro, takes you straight into Littlerock Dam. The pics are off 82nd street if you came up from Littlerock.

Ave "S" was our favorite place to go, with several tracks in the back off the hills. I remember almost getting stuck back there because we couldn't get up the road when it was raining and muddy as hell back there!

Thanks for the directions and info. I hope to check out the area soon.

My buddy lives in that area (Palmdale) and I want to ride Rincon, over the mountains and hook up with him at his place in Palmdale.

Bill, want company? The next few weeks are shot (biz travel), but maybe in late October? I'd also be willing to take a mental health day and skip work. For years, I've wanted to explore getting from the Rincon shortcut across the ANF and into the Antelope Valley. There must be a way.

Rob, Definately! I'm still waiting on a time to get my valves replaced (shop is holding things up). I'd suggest we try to go S from the Palmdale side and try to hook back up to Angeles Crest highway. Once we figure that out, we can work on more "fun" ways to do it. Maybe I should get my buddy that lives (and rides) in Palmdale to join us on his DRZ. He's pretty familiar with the hills/mountains South out of the Palmdale side. Let's stay in touch about it. Bill

I ride there almost every weekend...have been...ooops! I can show anyone around. Can be pretty technical or mellow...depends on how you wana go. Good hilclimbs and some good jumps (if ya like that sorta stuff). Kinda petters out towards the hills ( I am still new here) but I am looking. Rode 20+ miles on Sunday and only saw a quad or 2 the whole time.