Sign in to follow this  

Asterisk braces

(Never mind this post, I did a search and found lots of info)I pushed my luck too long riding without knee braces and it caught up with me finally. The back of my bike waged out off a jump. My bike was perpidicular to the track when I landed and it pogo sticked me over the high side. I cleared the next jump without my bike. But after a bad get-off I am lucky with a second chance. I only put a slight tear in the ACL and a 4 centimeter bone chip of the tibula, and a killer contusion where the inside of my knee slammed the frame as I flew off. My Doc said I dont need surgury, and is calling it an acute knee sprain. I also sprained the ankle on the same leg. I learned my lesson and now I am ready to fork out some dough for braces. I have a new found respect for you guys that have completly blown your ACL, I have just a sprain and it hurts like hell. There is no way in hell I want to ever go through a knee surgury.

This leads me to my question, If I cant get a presciption for cti or donjoy, I was thinking about asterisk. If you use asterisks I would like to hear the pros and cons. After reviewing these on the web they appear to be good braces. Any insight would be great!

I have had mine for almost 2 years. Easier to put on than the others, can be modified to fit your leg easily with the adjustments provided, are absolute hell on pants (like all of them). Less expensive than most and the customer service has been great.

Last March I hooked my foot on a root at about 30 mph and broke my fibula. I was happy, because I believe it would have destroyed my knee without the braces. 6 weeks vs. 6 months, yea, I'll take that.

make sure you get the updated version, it's got much better cushion.

I have had mine since 2000 and They have been great, they fit well and are very comfortable. I agree on the customer service, I noticed the inner cable snapped on one hinge and they said the new braces have stainless steel cables...so they are sending me 4 new SS cables no charge.

I suggest you wear the knee socks that come with the braces you get a snugger fit and they stay put when riding.

I tried them with and without, with is much better.

I had EVS Webs prior to the Asterisk and I really like the Asterisk much better. They fit more snugly, they don't ride down on your leg during long motos and seem to be quite a bit more comfortable than the Webs :thumbsup: Get a set, you will save yourself alot of trouble in the future.

Keith :devil:

I love my Asterisk. I broke them bad in a good crash and I sent them back and the returned them quickly. Other time I just broke a peice and the shipped out the parts. They don't slip or anything else. The only thing was I am short and I would get alittle pinching in the back of my knee. I was told by Asterisk to just move the rope up on hole and it worked.

...are absolute hell on pants (like all of them).

I've never had a problem with pants/Donjoys. :thumbsup:

me niether,, no problem with DonJoy/trousers/seat cover or graphics

Knee braces fit each person different so try on as many different ones as you can. I just sent my Asterisks back because they didn't fit me very well. Not their fault, just that everyone is different. They did let me return them without any problems so if you try them and dont like them you wont get stuck with them.

Knee braces fit each person different so try on as many different ones as you can. I just sent my Asterisks back because they didn't fit me very well. Not their fault, just that everyone is different. They did let me return them without any problems so if you try them and dont like them you wont get stuck with them.

Mine were a litle stiff and uncomfortable at first but then they kinda molded to my leg and felt much better after that. Now, I wont ride with out them.

I've had mine now for a couple months. Love them. Can hardly tell they're on when riding. The leg sleaves work great. Noticed my graphics starting to get torn up. I'm cutting an old riding sock to use as an extra cover. My pants (sinisalo), are holding up. (leather in the knee area). I'll be using the braces for sking this winter too.

So which knee braces are you going to get instead of the Asterics? The Donjoys?

I have been riding motocross for about two years now, and had been dealing with constant knee pain. The day after riding the pain would be so bad that it was hard to stand up from a seated position. I am 6'-5" tall and weigh 250 lbs without gear, so I am putting just a tad bit of stress on my knees. I e-mailed Asterisk and asked them about their braces and described the knee problems that I was experiencing. They quickly responded and explained to me that not only my weight, but my height was a contributing factor. Taller riders are more prone to twisting and stressing their legs and knees while riding and that braces could help alleviate some of the problems, they also said that I could return the braces for a refund if they did not help the situation. I have been using the Asterisk braces for over 6 months now and all I can say is that I wish I had bought them 2 years ago. I still deal with occasional pain, but it is very rare these days. Great product with great customer service!

So you can use them for other sports? I also BMX and ski. Does Asterisk have a size to fit a 10 year old? My son thinks he's a freestyler now so I need to bullet proof him.