Sign in to follow this  

Opinions wanted... changing gearing for sand??????

I just got back from a nice weekend at Sand Mountain. It was the second time I've been there. I made a few adjustments to my bike this time and it made a pretty good difference. I'm wondering about changing the gearing though. I'm thinking about adding a couple teeth to my rear sprocket. Does anyone that has ridden the 250R in the sand have any suggestions? The power is okay, but not great. I'm working on getting my heads ported and, if I can ever find one, a big bore kit. But, in the mean time, will adding some teeth help me out or should I leave it alone? How many teeth too?

Thanks for any opinions.

i have the 05 crf-r 250 i like the 52 tooth for everything

if you guys dont run a 52 you dont kno what your missing

How much of a difference will one tooth make? I was thinking about adding two or three.

I got one for my wife's XR250 but didn't use it too much. I liked the results, but I was told by a few different people in the XR forum that taking a tooth off of the front sprocket would mess with the life of the chain, among other things, due to the reduced diameter and the chain having to bend more, or some crap like that. :thumbsup: Any truth to any of this?