Sign in to follow this  

Ho t start

Saw a 2005 at dealer yesteerday. Nice!

What does hot start lever do? Where does it connect to?

It connects to the Carb. When a 4 stroke is "Hot" it needs more fuel dumped in the cylinder to start. Otherwise the normal amount evaporates instantly and you will not have enough to get the bike fired up.

isnt that like a choke? or am i wrong

Maybe I was wrong too. I got this from http://www.planetklx.com/

A hot start button, or more appropriately, hot start valve, can be configured to inject cooler air into the cylinder, which makes starting a hot engine much easier. The process involves taking cooler air from the filtered side of the air box and delivering it through the valve, into the intake manifold between the carburetor and the cylinder. Slowly kick the bike to get to the intake stroke. Then, open the valve and kick to start the engine. The cooler air will be sucked into the cylinder and the engine will fire right up.

Hey, The hot start has nothing to do w/adding more fuel. It opens a tube, allowing more, cool, outside air into the intake in front of the carb, between the carb and the cylinder. I have had one on my '99 CR/XR-240 BBR conversion since '99. Clint

Hey, The hot start has nothing to do w/adding more fuel. It opens a tube, allowing more, cool, outside air into the intake in front of the carb, between the carb and the cylinder.

And I've been wondering if this is where all the dust in my carb came from...>! :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any idea where the air is pulled from?

== From a bleed hole somewhere in the carb?

== Or directly from outside, unfiltered air?

Thanks! - rb

Hey, The hot start has nothing to do w/adding more fuel. It opens a tube, allowing more, cool, outside air into the intake in front of the carb, between the carb and the cylinder. I have had one on my '99 CR/XR-240 BBR conversion since '99. Clint

Someone needs to read all the posts before jumping... :devil:

Look at my last post. :thumbsup:

You all are retarded. The hot start doesn't take "outside air" and let it in the motor. It is a bypass for filtered air from the air box around the fuel circuits of the carb. It lets air into the engine without mixing fuel with it. :thumbsup:

I may be retarded, but I personally installed the aftermarket hot start on my '99 CR/XR-240 4 stroke conversion and I still have the instructions right here. It is a simple valve on the left handlebar that you can open and close. It has a tube that runs to the intake manifold between the carb and cylinder. It plain and simple allows cool, extra, outside air into the cylinder when the valve is open. You can open it w/the engine running and you can hear it sucking air. I assume that the same principle is used on my X, of course, I'm probably wrong, because I'm retarded.

Thanks for the feedback, bianese.

I was aware that some aftermarket add-ons *do* pull outside air... and that other models handle the hot start differently. I'm "fairly" sure that the hot start on the 250X carb is pulling from an internal point in the carb body --- but am still interested in trying to find the actual "intake" point.

We had an the RH intake valve go bad and Honda's position is that it's due to "micro-dust." :thumbsup:

So we're trying to nail down every entry point for dust.

Thanks again! -