Sign in to follow this  

Pilot jet question 2001 WR250

Just removed my pilot jet, is the hole in the middle supposed to be tapered? Putting the jet up to a light, I can see through it, but it looks like the hole gets smaller about half way in. I just want to make sure its not clogged, I have been having some erratic idle problems. It feels like an air leak at times, revs don't come down right away. I did a search, and checked everything that was mentioned.

2001 Aprilia Mille R

2002 Ducati 998 Bayliss

2003 Suzuki GSXR1000

2001 Yamaha WR250

2001 Kawasaki KDX220

1974 Suzuki TM400

2001 Yamaha TTR125l, daughters bike

2001 Yamaha Beartracker Quad

Had to go outside and look to be sure, but they appear tapered. I don't know if they are tapered or stepped, but the hole in "middle" of the pilot jet is definitely much smaller than the hole at either end. It's that way even on the 45 I've got, but never used, so I'm pretty sure your pilot's not clogged. Soak it in carb cleaner to be sure though.

Like you say, erratic idle might be an air leak. Next time it happens squirt some starting fluid around at the joints in your intake tract. If it speeds up, you've found a leak.

Also try opening your fuel screw in 1/4 turn increments to compare. If you get more than 3 turns open, go up one step on the pilot jet.

Thanks for checking Barton, I will try turning the fuel screw next. The carb did seem loose, so I removed the collar from the clamp that holds it on,the carb is tight now, made no difference.

2001 Aprilia Mille R

2002 Ducati 998 Bayliss

2003 Suzuki GSXR1000

2001 Yamaha WR250

2001 Kawasaki KDX220

1974 Suzuki TM400

2001 Yamaha TTR125l, daughters bike

2001 Yamaha Beartracker Quad