Sign in to follow this  

New FMF Q series silencer-02 crf450

I just had the shop install a brand new FMF Q series exhaust on my OEM header. It is extremely difficult to start. They kept the stock main jet and said there was nothing else they can do. Prior to adding the exhaust, the bike always started on the first to second kick. Any possible solutions? Could it be in the slow jet? Too lean??

Thanks for your help.

Matt :thumbsup:

I am betting it stuffed up the flow a bit and now you are running lean at idle. You could first try messing with the screw to see if it helps, and note which way it is turned when it helps. I bet going one richer idle jet would improve the situation.

Death,

Thanks for the info. Adjusting the screw has helped.

When you mention the idle jet are you talking about the slow jet? Sorry for the basic questions. Your insight is helping. Thanks agian.

matt

Count how far out you had to turn the screw from all the way closed. Do this softly do not crank it. There is a spring in there and you could ruin it. If it's over 2.5 turns out from closed I would go up one Pilot jet setting. Then close the screw up to around 1.5. Test a little bit going down hills at your normal place off the throttle. If it pops you need to play with the screw. Oh and your pilot jet is located near the main jet.

yeah sorry pilot jet, that's what i meant. sjwr450s got it right. The pilot jet has a great affect on how it idles. I must be forming a later life version of dyslexia or something.

Let use know how you like the new FMF Q ,i`v been thinking about one and would like to know what you think.Dose it run as good as stock?

I'll let you know this weekend. I did let out the screw a bit and it seemed to help.....ever so slightly.It only takes me about 20 kicks (vs 50-60 kicks or never). I think I will go up a little on the pilot and test it. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock....well. We'll see. Talk to you soon.

Matt

Go up one size at a time. One jet size will more than likely be plenty, but you might want to pick up the next 2 sizes up since they are low cost and dealer runs bite. Don't forget to put your screw setting back to stock to start with for testing the new jet size.

Well, AFter many adjustments. The problem was that my valves needed adjusting. The bike start in one to two kicks again. Very starnge. I want to thank everyone for your HELP>

A big THANK YOU goes to THUMPERTALK!

:cry: