Sign in to follow this  

Who thinks the lift stands

Who thinks the lift stands on the market suck...besides me and my racing buddies?

I bought an aluminum lift stand for right around $100. The pedal taco'd on me within the first month. So I straightened it and it taco'd again. Personally I think just about 99% of the lift stands on the market suck.

Why is aluminum so coveted for a lift stand? An equivalent steel lift stand weighs 11 pounds versus 8 or 9 in aluminum and it doesnt bend. Not only that, with a good steel lift stand you can sit on your bike and start it without the stand wobbling all over or breaking.

Is anybody out there having similar issues with their aluminum lift stands?

The reason I ask is I am going to make a couple nice ones for myself out of steel and wondered if me and my racing buddies are the only ones having issues with crappy stands.

What would people like to see in a lift stand besides just something that goes up and down? Cup holders? On the fly adjustable height...no tools necessary?

Get a Thompson Soft Drop. This thing is bullet proof and it has a air shock so your bike drops slow. it's spendy, about $125, but worth it. Get one, you'll be happy :thumbsup:

Why not just make one if you have a wleder?

I made mine. It was free because I used metal at work, then welded it at my house. If I didn't use the metal, it would be about 20 bucks in material.

Doesn't wiegh much. I can pick it up with one hand no problem. Check it out:

Motostandpaint.JPG

motostandpainted.JPG

It's actually more stable than the motoboss ones! I got my brother a motoboss one before I had the plans to make this. His is holding up just fine...

If you want I can give you the plans to make one for you. :thumbsup:

THanks for the offer 230F but I got the design handled. What I am trying to get at is...why do we buy and accept crappy things as "OK". Is it becuase it is a name brand? Is it because thats all thats out there?

One of the stands I want to make, works no different then any other stand on the market...it goes up and it goes down and it supports your bike...BUT it would be 100% better quality, it wont wobble, pieces wont bend, etc...

As for a soft drop with a shock? cmon now does the lift stand really need a shock? Can dirtbike frames not take a hit from a flat plate usually with rubber padding these days? That's another piece of flair for wow facotr but doesnt help the quality of the product IMO.

Why not just make one if you have a wleder?

I made mine. It was free because I used metal at work, then welded it at my house. If I didn't use the metal, it would be about 20 bucks in material.

Doesn't wiegh much. I can pick it up with one hand no problem. Check it out:

Motostandpaint.JPG

motostandpainted.JPG

It's actually more stable than the motoboss ones! I got my brother a motoboss one before I had the plans to make this. His is holding up just fine...

If you want I can give you the plans to make one for you. :devil:

That one looks real similar to some that a buddy and his son whipped out. Took them to the track and sold 'em all.

I was lucky to get one. I think I paid him $40 for it. He said the hardest part was getting the angle of the pivot/release arm just right. :thumbsup:

I'm done with Alum stands. Everyone I've ever bought had the feet bend, then the lifting mech goes bad.

I bought a steel one through O'neal for something like $69.00 can't remember now but, that thing has worked great! It may be a little heavier than an Alum stand but the abuse it takes is worth it, the thing still looks & work like brand new and I've had it for quit some time.

Yeah, the two links and all the pivots and the holes on the foot pedal makes or breaks if it locks and how high it does up. That's why I didn't want to make one unless I had plans. Once I had the plans I went fot it and it works great. I was off by a 1/8" on the holes and now to drop the bike, I have To lift up the back just a little bit, to take half of the wieght off. Once I do that I can drop it. Owell, it ensures that the bike swon't slam opn the stand and it's way better than lifting the bike all together.

like I said...ive got the design covered...obviously the ends would be capped and the top would have a riveted on rubber pad...

stand.jpg

I need one a little bit shorter than the ones commercially available. My XL600R doesn't have the ground clearance required. If I have to lift the bike onto the lift stand, what's the point? :thumbsup:

At least my street bikes have centerstands.

You can make one or if you dont want to, you can look for a motobodd. Just a couple bolts and it lowers a couple of inches. Go to a shop and check it out...

I've had a lift stand made by Moose for three years now, and haven't had a single problem with it. But really, if you're under 40 and have a lift stand you're a sissy :thumbsup:

The traditional Aluminum stands - bend with the weight of 4 Strokes. I have a lift stand I bought at Bob's Cycle 4 years ago - the top is wood with a rubber cover - when it wears out just replace the top. The legs are beefy so no bending is possible. I hate lifting 4strokes - let the stand do the work for you.