Are 4-Strokes really Hard to Start?

I've heard that some 4-strokes are harder to start then 2-stroke off road bikes, is this true? I'm thinking of getting the Honda CR250F for I want a strong lite 4-stroke off road bike for fun, nothing serious. Due to weight, I'm looking at kicker bikes, not electric started ones.....

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Dennis

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the bike. You should have no problem starting a CRF250. These bikes (along with Yamaha's 03 and up versions) have an auto decompresstion kick starter. This means a 8 year old could kick it. As long as the bike is jetted properly, you shouldn't have a problem. The main think to remember is to NOT give the bike any gas when starting it. You will flood the bike by giving it just a little.

I've found that if I adjust the fuel screw properly that my bike will always start easily; usually in 1-5 kicks. I like to adjust my fuel screw so that I get a tiny bit of popping on decell after running the engine hard such as doing a long wheelie or climbing a hill.

The newer 4 strokes are easier than the pre-2003's I think.

Yamaha's were notoriously hard to start, as they never had an automatic decompression.

Honda's and KTM's have always been easy, but the newer KTM's are harder than the older ones (I think so anyway!)

My 520SX, I could start with my HAND, hot, cold, stalled, tipped over, or throttle twisted. This was stock jetting and stock everything else with the carb.

My 450SX, if I stall it, it's a BEAR to start sometimes. It doens't always want to start easy. This is properly jetted, proper fuel screw, and everything done to the letter.

My xr200 was hard to start, not to me thought cuz I know a trick how to start, but I would lmao when someone tries to start it! To start it you have to keep pushing down on the kickstarter untill you find a spot where it get stiff and hard to push, then I just raise my leg back up and floor it, and she lives! Wasn't much of a problem to start my 450 either.

But yeah I'm always hearing about the new 4 strokes being easy to start.

Most 4 strokes are harder to start than 2 strokes. You can learn to get better at it, but they most always are harder to start. Especially, after they are hot and after a crash. That being said, don't let that deter you from buying one. They have mucho pluses as well.....?

I can start my friends 04' 250F, and im 5'4, real short. the 02 that my other friend has is a [@#$%&*!], im sure once u get the hang of it, you'll be better off..

You can?, im 5'4" and I thought I was way too short to even get my leg over it, if you flood them are they like impossible to get restarted?

I love watching people who have no idea how to breath life to a kick start thumper fumble helplessly, while I sit there knowing exactly how to make it fire in one swift kick. The trick is knowing how to work WITH your bike to get it fired, not working AGAINST it. Kick starting a thumper is like getting a women into bed with you on the first date... (assuming she's not the kind of woman who generally goes to bed on the first date) Take your time, get to know their needs, pay attention to them, learn what makes them tick. After that all you gotta do is find the sweet spot (TDC ?) and give 'er a go. If you try to force something on them you might as well break your own leg with a sledge hammer because you're not gettin' any action (from the dirtbike :devil:)

They are not usually hard to start if you know where to set the piston. I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. Fortuantely, a freind of mine told me the easiest way to get these started. Not to mention, you have to kick all the way throught the travel on the kick starter, or... buy one with a magic button.

no my yz426f starts easy as hell right wolfchild ?:devil:? hehe what everybody above said my yz426 is a 01 if i havent started it and ran it for a few days the intial start from cold takes some kicks but i just noticed that my skid plate is piching a carb hose so i have to check that out, but other than that there is a routien you have to go through once you get it down it took me about 3 days then your good. :awww:

I was worried about starting a 4 stroke too. Read alot of horror stories. What I've gathered (right or wrong) from many articles is:

o Honda XR's can be really difficult to start.

o Yamaha WR's can be really really difficult to start.

(on article on a WR with e-start said they quit trying e-start cause they were afraid they would kill the battery)

o Suzuki DRZ400 e-start starts without fail.

o KTM LC4 starts easy too.

I got a KTM LC4 and it starts 1-2 kicks hot or cold every time. LC4's vibrate like crazy though.

I had an '01 2-stroke YZ250 for a little while that was HARD for me to kick start, then got my '04 YZ250F that took maybe a month or so to used to, but was still WAY easier than the 2-stroke 250... and I'm a FEMALE!! (Albeit a 155 lb, 5'10" female!) :devil: My next bike is a 450, I think once you get the 4-stroke technique 'down' you're golden... ?

My YZ450 starts up on the first kick when cold, and usually third kick when hot. Everytime.

As a matter of fact, you don't have to give it a super hard kick. I've found a smooth, full kick through is all it takes.

I can't imagine a 2 stroke being any easier to start than my yz.

Oh sometimes my xr200 kicks back or back fires on me, a few times I hurt my ankle trying to start it, has that happened to any of you guys?

My manual says if you give it throttle when you kick it over you can get a kick back. Are you opening the throttle when you kick it?