Sign in to follow this  

Beginner with large frame

i am 5'11 and about 230lbs..i am looking for my first bike and would like it to be a dual sport...i will be commuting around town in Austin, TX and may be taking some long highway trips..road comfort and power is a must but i definitely need an offroad capable bike for small jumps and trails (nothing to crazy)..i was thinking just the DRZ-400S but i dont know if its stong enough to hold up to the offroad riding i will be doing...or if its powerful enough to maintain 70mph+ on long highway rides..keep in mind this is my FIRST bike, the only bike ive ridden is a GS500 for about 30mins...and i plan to take the MSF course before i buy the bike..

Thanks,

Duke

Welcome to TT. Because of your size and the road use, I recommend the big bores, like an XR600 with a Dual Sport kit on it. Its a rock solid machine and does well on the road and trail. It is a heavier bike, but if you get the dirt version with a kit on it, you'll save some pounds.

I was just faced with a similiar decision. The DRZ's are so sweet. But, because I want to do some long highway riding, I went for a 650 thus giving up some dirt ability (added weight) for highway ability.

well, i may be exagerating the highway use...since ive never ridden a bike outside of a parking lot, i dont know what to expect. should i be stand-offish of the bigger bores because of my inexperience? i dont plan on being 230 for long, either (50lbs dropped and counting :thumbsup:). i definitely want an offroad bike, one i can take anywhere if i need to. since i do have a car to drive, i dont need to rely only on this bike for highway commutes...but, i do have dreams of touring the Americas and other countries on the bike. but, again, they are just dreams..im at a loss...

THanks for the advice and keep it comin! I'm glad i found TT!

-Duke

Well BigDubb, I'm 6'7 255 lbs and I ride a XR650R. Uncorked w/ lots of aftermarket parts. I also had only ridden a dirtbike about 3-4 times before I got this bike. I've had it about 2 months now and I ride 1-2 times a week (it takes me 3-4 days to recover from the abuse on my body!) I don't regret going with the XR650 at all. It is A LOT of bike and it has a ridiculous amount of power but I would rather have too much than not enough when your on a steep hill climb. It does weigh a lot but for freeway driving and desert riding that's a good thing. And the XR650R uncorked w/ some aftermarket equip will easily top 100 mph +. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

BTW, I ONLY ride on dirt so I'm not the person to ask when it comes to freeway riding...

Or, if your not going to ride that much freeway, then a DRZ400S is prossibly the bike for you. I have two friends that ride DRZs. They are your size and they love their bikes.

I think the first bike you get is going to be an EXPERIMENT. Once you ride for a while, you'll know what you want. Then comes, the second bike. Then, the manufactures will come out with something new and you'll be off to your third bike and so on.

What's best is a clear day, with the sun just so, and the warm breeze in your face. Or, motoring along a dark lonesome desert highway with a million stars above.

Good Luck!

I'm 6'3 and weigh more then I'm supposed to. I got back into the sport about 4 years ago with a 25 year hiatus. What I did was found an old xr 500 (83 very clean) and bought it for $900, rode it for a year relearning how to ride and sold it for more then I bought it for and moved up to the 650R.

If your new to the sport find some used bike that you won't mind dumping because you will be dumping it and get some experience under your belt before you make the big purchase. Start with maybe an xr 400 (lots of these bikes around for fairly cheap) or something in that caliber then you can make a better judgement call later of what bike you really want and what fits your needs. :thumbsup:

you guys are all right. this is my first, but definitely wont be my last. im kinda the type to want everything now, and i pretty fickle, too. i just need to find an older bike to convert and LEARN to ride on and it will help me decide if i ride more dirt or street as well...im thinking about the whole thing to hard..

Thanks Again,

Duke