Sign in to follow this  

Sickest road race of the season!

i dont know if anyone else watched the World Superbikes this weekend in Assen but I did.

Almost every year there is a race or 2 that defines the sport for me, last year did not have one of those races except maybe Valentino's race where he ran off the track got passed by Max, Sete and Carlos I think only to come back and win the race, that was cool enough, however yesterdays WSBK race in Assen with Vermuellen and Toseland going at each other was equally as badass (if not more so) as the 2002 WSBK with Colin, Reuben Xaus and Troy in Imola, with Colin ultimately winning the championship.

It is must see TV for sure so if you missed it, make sure you Tivo it Tuesday on Speed, you wont be dissapointed.

I thought at the beginning of the season with Troy, Reuben and Colin gone to MotoGP that it would be lackluster but man the top 5 guys all could win the championship, Chili, and Haga are right there in it big time.

Some fantastic racing!

I totally agree. It's been a while since world superbike was that exciting. Five guys all able to win the championship is exciting enough then to see them all swapping around the first five postions in both races...holy cr*p! :thumbsup: I can't wait for the rest of the races!

Yep it was awesome!!!

I think the first motogp of the year though when Rossi beat Sete and Max in a straight up dog fight first time out on the Yamaha was awesome to.

There the 2 best races i think if we're going for 2 :thumbsup:

I can't even force myself to watch SBK anymore. I don't know excatly what happened since the 90's when I as a huge fan. One thing is that I just don't find it interesting to watch nineteen Ducati's and one Honda fight for the top twenty every race.

Although most of the riders, tracks, and equipment are inferior, I would much rather watch the AMA. I can simply relate to those guys and those tracks. Now if Miguel and Jake could just start kicking Mat's behind a little more, I'd be a happy camper.

Bottom line for me is, MotoGP is where it's at!

The way Vermuellen passed Toseland on the last lap was unbelievable.... CUTTING STRAIGHT OVER THE CURB! It didn't look very safe to me, I think he nearly took James out. It was a great race though. Go Frankie!

Scream,

Agreed they were two great races on Sunday, but I don't think that they were up to the same standard as the 2003 finale at Imola between Troy and Colin.

Bmxr,

Each to his own but who cares if ther are 19 Ducs and 1 Honda racing if the racing is close and exciting I enjoy it!

John.

Oh yeah!!! I almost forgot about those races- the 2003 Imola round. Those races were incredible! :thumbsup:

...who cares if ther are 19 Ducs and 1 Honda racing...

Me. And if SBK is to stay healthy, then they should care too. How did the factory SBK Suzuki, Aprilia, and Kawasaki Superbike teams do? Oh yeah, they were at Estoril, weren't they :thumbsup:

but I don't think that they were up to the same standard as the 2003 finale at Imola between Troy and Colin.

I agree totaly, so much so that I have both of those races in MPEG format on my computer that I take out to do my job, I watch it every time I am out in the field, and every time I see something totaly cool that I didnt see before....both of those races are absolutley the standard by which I judge all road racing to this day.

Vermuellen sticking it up in Toseland not once but twice over the same curb comes pretty damn close however, safe or not those passes took some serious nads to pull off and my hats off to guys with enough hair to hang it out there at a buck fiddy or so like that,.

yesterdays WSBK race in Assen with Vermuellen and Toseland going at each other was equally as badass (if not more so) as the 2003 WSBK with Colin, Reuben Xaus and Troy in Imola

That's just crazy talking blasphemy

BTW it was 2002 Imola with CE2 and Bayless, and that was the best last-lap of any race, period :thumbsup:

You're right it was 2002. Since we mentioned Troy Bayliss I love watching this guy ride he is a wild man. Saw him at Donnigton this year going through craner curves - what a save he made there. Would like to see him on an RCV, I think he has what it takes to be at the top of the podium given the right bike!

JOhn

You're right it was 2002. Since we mentioned Troy Bayliss I love watching this guy ride he is a wild man. Saw him at Donnigton this year going through craner curves - what a save he made there. Would like to see him on an RCV, I think he has what it takes to be at the top of the podium given the right bike!

JOhn

So you came over to Donno thats cool :thumbsup:

Word is Bayliss is going to get the push at Ducati, so he'll be looking for a ride. Checa is meant to be going to Ducati.

Bayliss is good but he's only as good as Colin Edwards and there simply not good enough against the likes of Rossi.

Nicky Haydens the same i'm probably going to get flamed for this don't get me wrong he's a great rider but he's never going to win when Rossi is around. We can say the same about Hodgeson as well i supose. I just think superbike riders are not in the same league...so many have failed to really be a championchip contender or hot property...Haga, Corser, Russell, all spring to mind.

For me Loris Capirossi is the guy who if given a Honda could win the title he beat Rossi straight up on a 250 in gp's before and he has what it takes in my opinion.

Nicky Haydens the same i'm probably going to get flamed for this don't get me wrong he's a great rider but he's never going to win when Rossi is around.

No flame but I do disagree, I think nicky could give Rossi a run for his money maybe even next year, so far in a couple races he's been right there in the mix.

It's not fair to condemn Nicky to "less than" status so soon, remember Rossi was testing the RCV while still racing 2 strokes, he's also been on every track in the series (except Qatar) for at least 7 years now, Nicky is just getting started on those tracks, all the travel, and all the other things that go along with country hopping every other week.

For the guy to get a couple podiums so far and be in the mix more than not is a HUGE accomplishment.

Rossi is by far the most talented rider to ever come along in my opinion, I am a HUGE Rossi fan, but level the playing field a little before making the comparison to Nicky.

Hey Middy,

I was born and raised in England, I've even raced at Donnington many years ago. Anyway no flame but, I don't consider Colin Edwards half the rider troy Bayliss is. I know all about there battles in wsb but you put them both on rcv's and I would put money on Troy beating Colin week in and week out. It appears to me that Colin isn't pushing hard enough. You're right about no one beating rossi regularly though!

I can't believe ducati would take Checa over Bayliss, it would be good to see them just switch places.

John.