Sign in to follow this  

Newbie FAQ?

is there one?

lookin' for a dirt bike. been riding sportbikes pretty much exclusively and trackdays/racing is too expensive. the streets aren't safe w/ LEO's, squids and cages.

need something that'll be good overall for trails and maybe even some racing that's also good for a beginner w/ street experience. I.E. the magic motorcycle. :thumbsup::devil: seems 4 strokes are preferred to 2 strokes? i want to ride year round and i think there's some restriction on 2 strokes? how's reliability? which is "the best" for trails? for track? any particular mfr. that stands above the rest?

oh ya, will i have to relearn riding all over again switching from street to dirt?

102100.jpg

thanks.

is there one?

lookin' for a dirt bike. been riding sportbikes pretty much exclusively and trackdays/racing is too expensive. the streets aren't safe w/ LEO's, squids and cages.

need something that'll be good overall for trails and maybe even some racing that's also good for a beginner w/ street experience. I.E. the magic motorcycle. :devil::awww: seems 4 strokes are preferred to 2 strokes? i want to ride year round and i think there's some restriction on 2 strokes? how's reliability? which is "the best" for trails? for track? any particular mfr. that stands above the rest?

oh ya, will i have to relearn riding all over again switching from street to dirt?

102100.jpg

thanks.

CRF250X :lol: A moto-cross bike with built in off-road features... It would be perfect :thumbsup:

perfect huh? i didn't know there was such a thing :awww::thumbsup:

any other bikes i should consider or should i start saving up for that 1 right now? :devil:

Although I love my 250X, you may want to consider something with a bit more power. I know you said you are new to off road, but it would be like jumping back on a 600 after racing litre class sport bikes. All in how you plan to use it. The CRF250X suits me fine at 40 years old and mainly cruising 2 tracks in the desert, but for a race bike, I would look towards a 450. Everybody has thier opinion on which color is best, but truth is it's a matter of personal preference. Honda and Yamaha seem to be the weapons of the majority, but Kawasaki, Suzuki, and KTM are also major players. Just remember what ever YOU decide is the best is the bike to buy. Good Luck with the transition, it's a whole new style of riding on the dirt. ( No Knee Dragging here unless you go SuperMoto)

well i like 600's if that's any indication (it's a 600 in the pic i posted) :thumbsup:

so do dirt bikes hold their value? i'm leaning heavily towards the hondas but what are the other equivalent bikes from the other mfr.? yamaha? pro's/con's for those who've ridden them? i need it to be reliable, relatively cheap, etc all the good stuff. i want to ride, not wrench :devil:

I see you're living in California (like me). If you plan on riding trails year-round you're going to want a green sticker bike. This means you're looking at an '02 or older bike; although I think there are some newer green stickered bikes but they are usually on the lower end of the power spectrum.

I would try to find a clean yz426 if I were you; should be around $3,000 give or take a few hundred bucks. :thumbsup::devil:

I have a DRZ 400e (electric start) that I love. It's a great all around bike - Good for trails and desert, very comfortable and handles like a lighter bike. It's not real good for a MX track, but I've got new springs and valving on it and going to try that some more.....anyway great bike. I am a Honda fan because of reliability and had an Xr650r prior to this - it was too big for me. great for fire roads or dual sporting. I was also looking into a WR450 which i've heard is a great bike, but had some mechanical issues the last couple years (woodruff key). That was the only reason that I didn't buy a WR, but I'm happy w/ my DRZ, I just wish I had two bikes like a cr/crf 250 for messing around on. The DRZ is bulletproof and very reliable! Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Welcome to TT mackey, you're going to like it here. Since you're local here in the Bay Area, PM me if you'd like to come out some weekend and try my XR250 demo bike, and even my CRF450 if you want to see what they feel like.

The CRF250X and CRF450X (is it out yet?) would be good starter bikes, and there are probably fairly equivalent bikes in other colors/brands. The 250X is a good starter bike, but the red 450s have real linear power, so you won't usually get surprised or spit off. I have a friend who's ridden the street for a long time (VFR800 is his main canyon bike now), and he bypassed the smaller bikes and bought a CRF450 as his first dirtbike. With a little coaching and some videos and practice, he's doing fine and having a blast at the local MX tracks right now after less than a year in the dirt.

My son and I are riding Sand Hill MX over north of Livermore pretty much every weekend. Sand Hill has a couple places for beginners to practice, so I can bring my XR250 along with our MX bikes if you want to join us. That way you can feel what a generic trail bike like the XRs feel like, and then feel the lighter power of the CRF450. Let me know if you want to link up. We'll probably be at Sand Hill MX around 8:30 on Sunday morning to try to avoid the mid-day heat.

Later, -Mike- :thumbsup:

I went from road to dirt this year as well and got myself and '03 YZ250F and LOVE IT. I ride both trails and track and found that it handles both like a champ. The newer 4 strokes 03 and above are easier to start, once you learn a few things about the process and what to do. Rather easy once you know ( I learned the hard way).

Everyone that I spoke with about which bike to get said the YZ or CRF's are the way to go.

I almost went to the 450, but I don't think I really need that much, but that is up to you. The 250F's kick butt and I would not change mine - except for a newer one down the road.

Welcome Mackey,

If you want a good overall trail bike and a green sticker, probably something in the 400 range would be good. The Suzuki DRZ400 and Honda XR400 are two popular ones. I think these two are very reliable and low maintenace. In a few months Honda will have the CRF450X on the show room floors. I think everyone is expecting the 450x to be a great bike and in high demand.

If you want to ride trails and do the black diamond single track trails then a smaller/lighter bike like a 250 four stroke would be good. I know of the Honda CRF250X, and this is really a great bike.

I'd tend to stay away from a bike in the 600 range if you want to ride trails. The 600s tend to be heavy for trail work. The 600s are good though I think if you like to ride high speed Baja type roads and ride on the street to work.

things to consider are:

- do you want air cooled or water cooled engine?

- do you want electric start or kick start?

- do you want it street legal?

hope this helps

Just as a side note I happen to be selling my XR400.

Well if you’re adventurous I would suggest the TE450 Husqvarna. A great green sticker bike that is basically a CRF450X before it exists. Rave reviews by all and E-start to boot. Love mine and I can ride any bike I want. I got this after a year and a half on a highly modified 03YZF250F which was like a CRF250R and don’t miss the YZF. The TE450 has one of the sweetest motors I have ever used. Great bike for anyone not looking to be sheep and follow the heard. :thumbsup:

if i wanted to do some dirt racing, which bike would be good for that? something that flicks really well and just enough power to get me going. but handling is key for what i need i think. i don't think i can get the competition bug out of me... :devil::awww:

berkeman, i may just take you up on your offer

:lol::thumbsup: i only have leathers though, no dirt gear. maybe 2nd week of october? :D i have a weekend's worth of trackdays @ sears pt. end of sept and plan on doing a 4hr endurance race the next weekend after that.

water cooled would get more hp from the same amount of engine displacement as an aircooled 1 right? so i think i'd lean towards water cooled. e-start would be nice but if the bike i need only has kick, i guess i could live w/ that. street-legal not a priority. streets are skurrry. :lol:

thanks everyone for their input. :D

berkeman, i may just take you up on your offer

i only have leathers though, no dirt gear. maybe 2nd week of october? i have a weekend's worth of trackdays @ sears pt. end of sept and plan on doing a 4hr endurance race the next weekend after that.

Cool. And Hollister opens up in October for our red sticker MX bikes, so we can do your intro ride on trails, and then show you the easier/smaller practice MX track. Just PM me a few weeks in advance to let me know a good weekend for you. And don't worry about gear, we have extras of what you'll need. You just need to wear something like light hiking boots for an intro ride -- we don't get too crazy on those :devil::awww:

Have you ridden Sears Point since all of the changes? I haven't done a track day there in probably 3 years. I watched a Sears Point race on TV a month or two ago, and I could hardly recognize any of the track! Is the carousel still there? Have fun :thumbsup:

thanks, a little test ride would be awesome. maybe mid october or so. :thumbsup:

ya, i've been to sears several times this yr. the repavement really smoothened things out :devil: in fact, pic i posted is T4 @ sears :awww: carousel is still there. i don't think that'll ever change really. they added a couple chicanes to slow the speeds down a little bit. we've had a couple deaths @ sears this yr. all in the fast turns, incidentally, all by seasoned racers, so they're trying to find ways to slow it down a touch.