Sign in to follow this  

Uni's falling apart with no-toil oil?

On saturday when I was getting ready to go riding, I cleaned my filter with tide, and when it was drying, i picked it up and the glue came apart.

I've never wringed the filter or anyhting like that, but I've heard from a couple people ehre on TT that Uni's fall apart if you use no-toil oil. Is this true?

The guy at the bike shop said if you use a fiber oil on a foam filter, the glue will just be in a pool at the bottom of the bucket. No-toil is for fiber and foam. Could this be it?

I got a no-toil filter and the construction of it is much better than the uni. So what do you guys think, no-toil killing the glue of the uni? :thumbsup:

The cleaners used for NoToil will dissolve UniFilter glue.

You need to use the filter oil for your filter.

Call Uni and NoToil tomorrow. One will probably give you a new filter.

Been using the No-toil system, cleaner, oil and rim grease on mine and my kids Uni's for the last year mine haven't fallen apart, maybe it's the Tide. :thumbsup:

it probably did, i dont see why you guys just dont use keroscene or diesel, its alot cheaper and more effective

I used to use kerosene and I will NEVER go back. Smelly as hell, doesn't evaporate, doesn't wash off with water, and it stays there and breaks down the oil...

That's why I started using no-toil so I could use Tide.

I know they say dont do it, but I have never had gas affect the twin airs. Ive even gotten to the point of washing the filter in the gas and just rinsing them off with the garden hose.

Another vote for gas here...I've found the same problems with kerosene and other solvents. People selling filter cleaning solvents will ALWAYS tell you not to use gas....gee wonder why?

Never had any problem with filters falling apart because of the gas as solvent, I think as long as you use a quality filter it's no problem. If you use even a minimum amount of brain cells the safety issue with flamability is not a problem. I also think the "backfire" causing fires in gas-cleaned filters is either a "red herring", or extremly rare. I give a second wash with soap and hot water anyways and can't imagine any volatiles remain after that.

You want flamability...check out the volatile portion of most filter oils as they evaporate!

Look at the XR650R forum. They have some photos of crispy filters.

After you use gasoline or kerosine, what do you do with the dirty gas?

Don't post anything that pollutes please.

I really like the Uni-Filter sprays. More expensive, but really easy to use.

Look at the XR650R forum. They have some photos of crispy filters.

After you use gasoline or kerosine, what do you do with the dirty gas?

Yes filter fires can occur, I still contend they are a) very rare occurences and :thumbsup: have nothing to do with which solvent you wash your filter in as long as you do it properly. If you're sticking a solvent-soaked filter back in your bike and firing it up...well you most likely have other problems in life that are greater, like prying bread out of an energized toaster with a knife.

What to do with the dirty solvent? Chuck it in with the oil that's accumulated from oil changes and headed to the re-cycling center. I've always got a container of it sitting around and the small amount of solvent added to it only slightly dilutes the sludgy mess.

If you use another product and it works and you like it, hey I'm happy for you. I do get a bit "irked" when people post (it wasn't here, nor was it by anyone who's posted here by the way) that using gas is somehow "dumb" or "unsafe." Use a bit of common sense with whatever you use and I'm sure you'll be OK.

Don't use No Toil with WB or Uni filters. The wood alcohal base will disolve the cheap a$$ glue in those filters. I found this out the hard way but No Toil was kind enough to send me a replacement filter. Never had a problem using No Toil with any other filters including stock. Excellent product IMO.

My friend was burning weeds with some gasoline. The heat spontaneously ignited all of the gas, the matches were still back in his truck. He spent days in the hospital and has never fully recovered. Most firemen are well versed in the dangers of gasoline. (His uncle said he should have been using a gasoline/diesel mixture.)

Working with gasoline in a garage area can be dangerous if the vapors make it to the water heater or furnace. I would bet anyone who had a filter catch on fire from gasoline was probably doing a rush job, washing in gas, oil, riding all on the same day. Still, some people are just unsafe at any speed.

I have been using NO-Toil for the last 5yrs. I have only changed 1 filter. I have never used TIDE on mine. I have used gas, but my first choice is the No-Toil solvent. That crap works the best. I live in Las Vegas and let me tell you, when you ride here you get used to Moon-Dust. my filter is always brown after a good day of riding. Use whatever you want. Just dont blame No-Toil..

I have been using NO-Toil for the last 5yrs. I have only changed 1 filter. I have never used TIDE on mine. I have used gas, but my first choice is the No-Toil solvent. That crap works the best. I live in Las Vegas and let me tell you, when you ride here you get used to Moon-Dust. my filter is always brown after a good day of riding. Use whatever you want. Just dont blame No-Toil..

Agreed. I been usuing it with twin air filters and no problems. Uni and WB filters are the cheapest made in my opinion.

Thanks, I'll be writing to No-Toil tonight!

BTW, the no-toil is thicker so my fuel screw had to be turned in a bit more.

I used to use No-Toil oil and cleaner. mainly because of the free air filter. but now I use the Twin Air filters and cleaners and all that stuff. its tons better. I used the UNI air filter cleaner and oil on my UNI air filters last year and liked it pretty well. the only thing UNI air filters fall apart after about two washes. the No-Toil filters are to restrictive. the No Toil oil is a frekin pain. its gets everywere and comes off with nothing but the cleaner its self. so Im just going to stick with the Twin Air. its hands down the better choice (IMO)

Hey guys, little update:

Talked to Scott, and said he'll send me a new one. I also told him about TT!

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup: