Sign in to follow this  

XR for the short @ss

hi i was wondering wether u lot can help im really wanting an XR 250 and theres one in my area goin reasonbly cheap. however im only 5ft 9in and am concerned that i will be to short im not able to see the bike yet so i havent had a chance to have a sit. will this be a problem and is there anything i can do to lower the suspension. btw ita a uk model if that makes adiference? thanks :thumbsup:

I'm also 5'9" and ride an xr250 with zero problems. Don't worry about a thing. Most real dirtbikes are going to be too high for riders our height to touch the ground. You will get used to the seat height. The lowering links are for the really height challenged folks, and if you use them, you lose some suspension travel.

excellent thats made my day, so how exactly do stop if u stop if you cant touch the ground? and do u ride your on road at all? this one is road registered and was thinking about using it (jus temporaily) as transport. i figured the high riding postion would give me an advantage ova heavy traffic :thumbsup::devil:

I'm 5'9 and I can touch comfortably on my XR. The only time you'll have problems is on the side of a hill or being next to a hole, but thats with any size dirtbike. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Good grief, give me a break! I'm 5'5" and I have no problems reaching the ground on my 2002 XR250R. Okay, so I can only touch the ground with the ball of one foot at a time, or the tips of my toes with both feet. But it has never been a problem. I simply got accustomed to it. You're four inches taller and you have concerns about touching the ground!? Let me guess, you never sat on one, much less rode one, right?

Even if you didn't adjust the free/race sag correctly it would not be a problem at your height. Free should be about 0.8" and race around 3.7/3.8" for the XR250. Whatever bike you get, set your suspension correctly for your weight. Do that and you'll get almost four inches closer to the ground when you're sitting on it. Sit on one at a dealer and chances are it's not set up correctly - THE SEAT SHOULD BE LOWERED ABOUT FOUR INCHES when you sit on it. If not, the sag is not set up correctly. Take that into account when trying out bikes.

The Yamaha's have a seat height of around 39.3". The XR250R is 36.0" - probably the lowest seat height in its class.

I've heard some users, let's say someone < 5' 3" that ride full size bikes, and they have just gotten in the habit of finding something to rest their foot on when they stop. You get used to it. I did, and at first I thought it was going to be a problem and even got a lowering link (mistake) which was quickly exchanged for the stock link, but after a few weeks it no problem at all. Until I can get a softer spring (I'm 118lbs) I had to compromise free/race sag since it's impossible to adjust the spring for proper sag, so I've got about 1.5" free and ~3.1" race sag. When I get the proper spring in it and can adjust the race sage correctly (to about 3.8"), I'll be able to reach Mother Earth even better.

Wait a minute, I'm 65". Why the heck am I going into detail on this - YOU'RE 69" FOR PETES SAKE and thinking of getting the lowest (I believe) 250 made. It's a non-issue.

• Like 1

The XR is shorter at the "crotch" of the seat (where it meets the gas tank) than most motocross bikes (CR and CRF series). Even the CRF250X is quite a bit taller there.

Your height is not a problem. I find that I (5'11" or so) get into trouble with my XR400 on the side of a hill or simply when I'm too tired to do things properly. Your skill is far more important than your height.

Cheers.

In our politically correct world no one is short anymore! Some are just vertically challenged :thumbsup:

lol guys mayb i was jus being a fool i feel short coz most my m8s are ova 6ft which is y i feel vertically challenged. anyway im gonna test ride 1 tomoz YAY!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm 5'9'' and as a previous poster said only have problems on the side of a hill. I have short legs so I'm only able to touch the balls of my feet but I'd never consider lowering it. I also ride on the street some and it's not a problem. The reason I have a 250 and not a 400 is the seat height!

I'm about 5'10" and have a 400. I have no real problems with the height. A few problems on uneven stuff but any one would have that problem. I agree with eveyone else and don't worry about it. I think they fit us shorties perfect.

jeez I'm 5'5", and I ride my brothers XR650R just fine. The hardest part for me was starting the da*m thing, seeing as I could stand on the kick starter and not even budge it.