Sign in to follow this  

drill holes in the seat foam

if i drilled alot of holes in the top of the seat foam....would it work like an egg crate and make the seat softer.....what else can you do to make the seat more cumfy?

if i drilled alot of holes in the top of the seat foam....would it work like an egg crate and make the seat softer.....what else can you do to make the seat more cumfy?

What is wrong with the stock seat foam on the Honda ? It is actually the best on the market and what everyone else aims for. If it is too hard for you then stand.

Cher'o,

Dwight :thumbsup: < (monkey butt) Use Boudreax's Butt Paste !

I've got a bone spur on the end of my tailbone, so trust me I feel your pain. I've considered getting a piece of the "memory foam" they use on pillow top mattresses and cutting my seat foam down by it's thickness and putting it on top to maintain the same seat dimensions, and putting the cover back on. Just because some of us are old and stove up, don't mean we don't want to have fun anymore. :thumbsup:

I have a 95 XR400, or maybe a 94, can't remember. I have a problem with the seat as well. I'm 6'2 and sit farther back on the bike when I ride it and there are two plastic squares on each side of the seat about 1" below the foam that stick up into the foam. Right where my butt bones sit on the seat. I looked at the seat frame to see what I could do to maybe cut them off or something. I think they stick up over some frame bolts or something on the sub-frame. Anyway, it can be very painful after a week riding in Colorado on rough rocky terrain. Literally a black & blue ass where those spots are. Anyone else experience this?

I have a 95 XR400, or maybe a 94, can't remember. I have a problem with the seat as well. I'm 6'2 and sit farther back on the bike when I ride it and there are two plastic squares on each side of the seat about 1" below the foam that stick up into the foam. Right where my butt bones sit on the seat. I looked at the seat frame to see what I could do to maybe cut them off or something. I think they stick up over some frame bolts or something on the sub-frame. Anyway, it can be very painful after a week riding in Colorado on rough rocky terrain. Literally a black & blue ass where those spots are. Anyone else experience this?

first off old thread....bad juju

they didn't make xr400s before 96.

that is really far back on the seat. I haven't had a problem like that before.

I'm 6'3'' and have no trouble sitting with my nuts up against the tank.

I know the seat frame lumps u r talking about, they are a long way back, if i was to ride sitting that far back i wouldn't be able to turn half as well at half the speed i do now for any given corner [offroad].

Also, if u r riding rough rocky terrain, then WTHeck r u doing sitting?

Try adapting ur riding position from the 1800's up to todays style and u may find most of ur problems gone.

OK, so it's probably a 96. I've gone thru a lot of bikes & don't remember the models of all of them. Just happen to have this one longer than most to ride in Colorado. btw, this is where I sit on the seat in a relaxed trail riding mode with my arms in riding position. I'm a fairly advanced, but retired, enduro rider and use all of the seat and some of the fender when riding in race mode. However, now days, I'm in no shape to stand all the time. Also, because of my height, it raises my cg too high, so for me to stand and ride agressive, I have to do it squating and bent over, which is really tiring for someone with bird legs. I have a KTM exc300 as well and it is more fitting for a tall person. I can stand on the KTM at high speeds much easier. This is the bike I used to compete with. The XR has its place - loooong rides over rough terrain. I may need to have the shock serviced too, that may be contributing to the ass beating it gave me last year. I may just be getting too soft in my old age.

I am sorry you butt hurts, but try riding 270 miles in one day on a FE501 Husaberg Sumo.

The next day we road 250 miles more, I thought I was going to die!

If you want plush I am pretty sure Corbin makes a seat for the XR400.

Also a company in my home town called ROHO makes an inflatable bike seat/foam called the Airhawk.

You replace the foam with their Airhawk seat foam, slip the seat cover back on and pump up the cushion till your rump does not hurt anymore, or they have a slip over model. Either unit I have been told they are the cats ass.

www.roho.com

I agree with your complaints about motorcycle seats. I am 6'5" with a disproportionately long inseam. And further am past 50 years old!

I have Corbin seats on 2 XR4's and find them to be much more pleasant to ride with! The first seat purchased is their stock seat and is great. I then had another made with an extra 3/4" of foam which is even better. I just wish that the seat was longer.

A word of note about cover materials. I have a Corbin on a DRZ with a leather cover and I find it to be a pain as it is so slick.

Thanks for the post. I'm glad someone agrees with me. I'm 42 now & haven't rode really serious in about 5 years. Back in the day I had worked my way up to the "A" class in the Blackjack Enduro Circuit. That's one level below "AA", which is the top ten circuit riders. So, I take riding tips with a grain of salt. However, I'm man enough to admit my ass hurts bad when I ride the XR 160 miles in a day in the Rockies. I'm talking 80% mountain trails that are rough & nasty, not the gravel roads. I've ridden several KTM's, that notoriously have hard seat foam, and I never got monkey butt from an 80 mile enduro at top speed like the XR gives me. I'm telling you it's those two hard spots back towards the back that occasionally doink my posterior that are a real buzz kill for a nice trail ride. I'll have to check into those Corbin seats. I they just did street bikes, didn't know about the dirt bike seats they have. About the leather cover & sliding: I had a cover once with Kevlar sides and a non slip top. Seems like I would slide, but my pants would stick. I got rid of it because I couldn't easily slide forward to slam the bike into the turns like I needed to. If I remember right, it was like getting rack'd almost and wore blisters even thru my bike shorts. Thanks again for the post - maybe some day our trails will cross.

As stated previously, I am past 50 and ride for the pleasure of the experience, rather than to be a racer! I can stand while riding if the situation requires, but prefer to use my energy more efficiently. If I wanted to stand all the time, I could ride a modern trials bike. I find it awkward and uncomfortable to sit up tight to the tank. My limbs are then jutting out in harms way. What I have determined that I want in a motorcycle seat is a "dual sport saddle". On advrider.com there are a lot of nice things said about custom seats (and service) by "Renazco Racing". renazco.com From what I have found on their web site, they will build you a custom seat with vinyl cover for $300 or so. This is less than the Corbin list price and the seat is custom built for you?

I will attempt to send you a pm with more information.

Tom

The stock seat foam on the XR400 seems to break down rather quickly. Try a SDG tall replacement seat. This seat has much stiffer foam and is a little taller which also helps if you are tall. For around $100 for an entire replacement seat you can't go wrong!:banghead: