Works Connection radiator guards

:mad:Works Connection radiator guards didn't provided the protection I need in a low speed fall. It crushed the inside row of cooling fins. Although it may provide front impact support but it gives very little side protection in a fall like some of the other brands. ?

I need to buy a pair for the bike I bought yesterday. I like how the Rooster has the bracing that attaches to the frame behind the radiator. Looks like it would give good side impact protection. I can't tell if the Flatland model has this as their picture shows the plastic shroud installed over it. Does anyone know if it has similar bracing?

I highley recomend the Roosters. I fell and cracked my rad the second ride on the bike so I ordered up the roosters. Since then I some how managed to llose balance and tumble down 20 feet into a creek bed, the bike was doing cartwheels the whole way down. Ended up cracking both fenders, bashing my Dr.D header in and taking a nice chunk out of my left side motor case (luckily it didnt leak). With all this I dont know how but my radiators survived jsut fine. Those guards worked flawlessly, would give them up for the world. Talk to kelly at Rooster Performance, nice guy.....

I have struggled with the same issue and would suggest that:

- The Roosters and Unabikers look the strongest. I like the triple thickness at the radiator's edge. The Unabikers are probably lighter. I'd have to see them both in person to see which is stronger. My local dealer (up here in the great white north!) hasn't heard of either and Rooster indicated some issues with shipping to Canada, so......

- The flatlands look good. I was a little concerned with just a "devol style" single break at the rad's leading edge. People that own them say good things. I also was a little concerned by the fact you can't see the bracing in thier pictures. I have some on order and should have in the next couple of days.

- I also ordered a set of Works connections braces. but they were back ordered. The back bracing looked OK and I liked the idea that the factory louvres were retained because I had overheating issues with my last Devol's. I'm not surprised that thier side impact protection is less than some others (see above).

The Devols are better than nothing but, like I said, my last bike overheated more with the Devol's than without. Of course the other guards may affect airflow in a similar fashion. What I don't like is the back bracing; it's a separate pce and it is parallel to the rad. Less support than the others mentioned here.

I'll post an honest opinion on the Flatlands when they get here.

Oh, and for what its worth, I hereby certify that I don't work for a dealer or manufacturer and have no vested interest either way!

Cheers,

Dave

:mad:You have experience just what I am afraid of ,an overheating bike that you described with your devols. I live in Georgia where the temp. gets in the mid to upper 90's and above. :devil: I love riding the tight trails and this could cause a problem for my bike in stay cool enough. The Works Connection rad guards would work if there were some type of brace to support a fall rather than nothing at all. There needs to be some support brackets to cross in front of the radiators gaurds that wouldn't block the air flow on any design. Come on some of you engineers give us a hand design something! ? I am planning on buying a 2006 250x in a year or so and you can be sure that Works Connection guards will not be on it unless some improvements are made. :awww:

I have had several good crashes where I flipped the bike and one of them bent the subframe, but the radiators were untouched. I have also dumped it on its side and have some good chunks out of the engine case and kickstarter, but the radiators are still fine. Actually, I think they are about the only thing I havent broken yet!! I dont think you could go wrong with them. ?

The louvers do provide a LOT more air into the radiator. Here's a link to a guy who modified his louvers to work with a "wrap-around" style radiator guard. I think this would be a good compromise. The radiator mod is near the bottom of the page.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmoremods.htm

Manufacturers should pick up on this and give us something off the shelf for this problem.

Another benefit to the louvers is that they almost eliminate the possibility of mud getting the radiator. I was surprised to find the radiators were spotless after one of my REALLY muddy rides.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I tested the Rooster Radiator guards this weekend. I was passing a CRF450 in a real tight section and his front tire just bumped my rear tire enough as I was going by to change my line a tad too much. Therefore, I slammed into a tree straight into my throttle side handguard and radiator. I was on the gas in the middle of 4th gear! Bent the handguard all the way into the brake reservoir, ripped off the radiator shroud, bent my risers and handlebars back an inch and a half, and didn't budge the Rooster rad guard! The 450 ended up crashing into me as I was going down...I remember seeing the skid plate out of the corner of my eye as it slammed into and over my right shoulder/bicep and then the bike threw its rider and they both fell on top of me. Got a nice footpeg mark in my back to go with the skid plate "tattoo" on my arm....awesome crash that you kinda wish somebody had gotten on video so you could send it in to Crash & Burn.

Update,

I installed the Flatlands on Sat and rode on Sunday. They fit perfectly and other than shaving the inside of the plastic shroud, they were a simple bolt-on affair. The fasteners came with the guards, but the directions on which bolts to use where could have been clearer. As far as the guards go, they appear fairly strong; thick aluminum and notched where they needed to be. I suspect the rads are 10x safer than they were, but the Rooster and Unabiker guards look stronger still (but I haven't seen them in person).

Cheers,

Dave

Well, I tested the Rooster Radiator guards this weekend. ....awesome crash that you kinda wish somebody had gotten on video so you could send it in to Crash & Burn.

Dude! You take your product testing seriously, don't you? ? Glad to hear you survived a bad one!

Another vote for Flatland rad guards. "The Ant" (the wifey-poo) has severely tested her 250x and guards...over...and over...and over... again.

Came through every crash, tip-over, bank attack, tree embrace, etc. with not a mark on the radiators. That was until this last weekend. She did a fall-over at speed into the side of a steamer-trunk-size, embedded rock. The shroud was practially ripped off, and the Flatland guard was starting to fold in half in the middle due to the impact. But the radiator only has a slightly compressed, outer fin row on the front lower edge! I was flabbergasted that it held up that well. Shoot, we were able to pound the Flatland guard back semi-flat enough with a rock (so the fender would clear on turns) and keep on riding!

I may have to look at the Rooster guards for the crashin'-queen (she's only 5'2" and rides technical trails) -- but have been very impressed wih the Flatland guards so far! ?

Cheers! - rb