Sign in to follow this  

Some Questions about my CRF250R

Im trying to figure out a good oil/oil filter change interval for my CRF250R.....Im thinking about changing my oil and oil filter every 3 rides..or change my oil every two rides and oil filter every four.....hopefully when i get my scotts stainless steel oil filter everything will be

all good...

Ive ridden my bike four times now and i think im going to check valve clearence just to be safe and if there off ill bring it to my shop to do it. How hard is it to check? Is this a good guide ?web page

How often should i redo my top end... the manul says every 15 hours under race conditions but the guy at honda said once every season..Considering i bought the bike in augst im gonna do it like around april before i start to race....Is this good?

If anyone can answer any of those questions i would really appreciate it..thanks

EDIT: Come on guys can anyone help alot of views but no post...im kind of nervous thats why. I dont want to ride it if i should check my valves or change my piston or oil etc. whatever because i had to pay for this bike myself and im only 14 and have no job so if it breaks im screwed...

stay with the paper filters for the first few oil changes, change the oil every 3 good rides, dont use sythetic till after break in and check valves about every 5 rides. i dont know how often to change piston though, every season sounds a little much, id change it every year and a half

Definately check your valve clearance after you have it broken in.

That web page on how to check the clearance seems good, but read the manual too. It's very clear on how to do it.

I change my oil every 3 hrs (sometimes 3 hrs is 1 ride) or every 2 rides. Filter, every other change.

Doing a top end will vary depending on how hard you ride it. I plan on doing mine at around 30-40 hrs to check everything out.

One thing you should do is get an hourmeter so you can keep track of the hours on it. (Sears)

How often do you change it?..when i ride i always give it my all..i really dont know how hard i ride it but i was just making sure that i diddnt have to replace the piston every 15 hours i mean thats a little ridiculous..i rode my bike four times and im going to check my valves this weekend. already put fresh oil/oil filter and air filter. In april when i race ill probably change the piston more often...

Thanks for helpin me

why do you have a 96 cr250 chain guide on your bike?????

Because the stock one is crap. Once that aluminum cage bends it rubs against your sprocket and the chain. With the 96 guide the plastic piece is solid and I run just that w/o the aluminum cage. I've been using this setup for over 10yrs (the 93 guide is the same) and never had a problem. Both my CRF's have it.

I agree with throttle the stock is crap. I was racing a hare scramble race on a rocky course and crashed. Got up and took off not realizing the chain guide got bent in the crash. The chain popped off wrapped around the countershaft sprocket and pushed down on the shift lever and cracked the case. After a push back to the truck and a new left side case and shift shaft it's good as new. Now I use the 96 chain guide minus the aluminum works great. I think BRP sells one also that looks good.

Now if I could just get my broken right foot fixed as quick as I did the bike when I broke it I would be good to go. It sucks but comes with the sport and roots are tougher then bones, you would of thought I would of learned that in 95 when I broke my left foot almost the same way :thumbsup:

This oil change issue has me intrigued, :thumbsup: what is the service interval in the manual for the CRF. My KTM 525 was change oil and filters after every race meeting if you worked out the hours. :devil: This was done religiously and no problems, my mates with KTM’s do the same and no problems with engines, valves etc. Now you guys should have oil so cheap that you could bath in the stuff, :awww: : so why not change it as often as you can? I was brought up in a mechanical family and the old saying with us was "Oil is the cheapest mechanic you will ever get". I would not go by any service interval that you have worries about, if in doubt change it out!!! Im waiting for my 05 to be sent over from Canada when it gets here it will be getting the oil changed every race meeting and that’s with the price of oil over here. :lol: