Sign in to follow this  

Need help with jetting (I think)

Hello,

After a 24 year absence I have returned to the dirt in order to have some fun with my 12 year old son. I've bought 2 '03 Hondas - an XR80 and a Sportrax 300 4 wheeler. The problem is that both of them are amazingly difficult to get running. I've been told that improved jetting will make a big difference but I do not know where to start. I've also been told that it is only going to get worse as winter approaches. I am capable of doing the work myself, if only I knew what to do! We live about 1000 feet above sea level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both of the bikes are probably starving for fuel at low speeds. Look for an idle mixture adjustment screw to richen the idle. Adjust each way 1/4 - 1/2 turn when the motor is cold to see whether the response improves.

Secondly, pull the top of the carb off to see if there is an adjustable needle that meters the fuel. Lifting the needle by 1mm using the "C" clip or a small washer will make a noticeable improvement in most cases.

You may need to improvise, so don't hesitate to experiment a little.

Good Luck,

James

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do as soon as I get a few minutes (hopefully today). I'm going to start with the XR80 since it is truly difficult to start. It has two adjustment screws on the carb. I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that one is an air screw and one is fuel.

In my early aggravation with this thing I did change these a little and have carelessly lost the initial setting. Is the old rule of all the way in and then back out 1 1/2 turns a good place to start? I will try to raise the needle right away also. Thanks again,Brian