Sign in to follow this  

New bike purchase advice needed

We all know what a PITA it is to buy a new car, and all the crap they pull at dealerships, right? OK, it's been many years since I've made a purchase from a bike shop, and I'm thinking about doing so real soon.

I understand that businesses need to make money, and I'm never interested in screwing anyone, but at the same time, I just don't like to get screwed myself.

So, what's the smartest way to buy a new bike?

How much mark-up is built into MSRP?

Is financing through a dealer EVER a good idea?

Is there ever a reason NOT to go with the lowest offer?

I know I have other questions, but this should get us started...

Any help will be appreciated.

As far as financing goes, its smarter just to buy it all at once, you save yourself alot of money.

Well, I can answer your last question. Going for the lowest price isn't always the best decision. Service is a huge factor if you aren't willing to take a wrench to your bike when need be. Also, you have to ask yourself if you'd be willing to fork out some extra cash to support your local bike shop. To some people that's a big deal, and to others it's not. Also, do you want to be a person or a dollar sign in the eyes of the store (big company vs little company).

The way I did it on my last five bikes was this... I got the Cycle Trader magazine and shopped for best price there. Found a deal I could live ( OUT THE DOOR ) with and presented it to my local dealer. Although they cried about how much money they would be losing by selling to me at this price, they did not chase me away without a new ride. Make sure you look at the out the door price, as dealers are infamous for manipulating fees to get you back to the price they wanted in the first place. Don't know if this will work for you, but I got the 03 TTR125 and 225 for $5000.00 Out the door cash price when new. The CRF250X was Honda financed @ $5400.00. Both Very respectable deals here in Tucson where they hate to go below MSRP. As for mark up...Go to www.servicehonda.com and check out prices on parts. Not any specific parts, but they show Honda List price as well as thier selling price. Next, price the same items at your local dealer. There are three dealers in Tucson, and none of them are less than 150% of LIST price. It's a ripoff buying parts locally, at least in Tucson. As to the financing issue, any time you have to pay interest, it is just costing you more for the product. If you just can't get the cash together (as was the case with my CRF) you may want to shop for the best rate.

I just went through this for the first time (for ANYTHING, my WR is my first new vehicle ever) and it was much less painful than I imagined.

I emailed all the yamaha dealers in my area asking if they had a 2004 WR450 and if so what their OTD (out the door price) after all taxes fees and prep costs would be.

The closest dealer took almost a week to respond and they gave me a price that almost matched MSRP. A dealer 70 miles away responded within 6 hours and told me they'd be glad to sell me their last '04 WR450 for $5800 out the door. :thumbsup: On top of that, when I ordered $500 in accessories for the bike they sold them to me at a %20 discount. With a deal that good I didn't even try to haggle with them.

As for financing... not a chance, no way I'd finance a toy.