Sign in to follow this  

anyone try a softer seat

Just wondering if anyone tried putting new foam on the crf seat to make it softer. i tend to stand way too much because the seat is so stiff and really hurts my back when i hit the rough stuff. i was thinking of building the seat up with a softer foam and putting a lip on there like windhams seat to help on those big uphills at full throttle.

Sometimes too soft of a seat feels like sitting on a mushy pad. Maybe a dual compound set up with the firmer foam below a softer foam would be the hot set up. Kinda like a progressive spring.

Honda is known for having the ultimate density of foam for there seats. I think it's just right. Suzuki does have a softer seat but then I heard the foam caves in, in time.

Guess it depends how heavy you are. Maybe your one of those skinny guys?

Maybe it's not the seat at all and your bars are too low causing you the back fatique.

If you dislike the crf seat because it is too hard you would hate the other brands. The crf has the best seat.

I did the opposite. I had GUTS put a firm foam pad on my seat base with a gripper cover. I like it and will always go firmer than stock. For some weird reason it makes me feel like I have a better feel of the bike in turns when I sit on the edge of the seat.

Watch someone like Stefan Everts ride and you will see there is no such thing as standing too much. He stands 90% of the time and often through corners as well. Standing gives you much more bike control and lets your legs soak up the bumps. The rougher the terrain, the more you want to be standing.

I hear what you are saying about the firm seat, but in my book, sitting is only for when you are too tired to stand. As mentioned above, your bars may be contributing to the back pain.

i thought that standing was the way too go over rough terrain, however i race at millville everymonth and after watching the pros ride there last month i noticed they were sitting most of the time. all the big up hills and sweeping whooped out corners they were sitting. here i have been standing the whole time thinking i was doing it right and getting kicked all over the place. after watching replays they sit as far forward as possible almost all the time. however i have been practicing this but its real hard on my back. i do agree with losing feel with a softer seat but most dual sports i have ridden with a soft seat i could ride for hours without getting a sore. i know they are sprong softer but the seat seems to help also.