Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 or 250...First bike.. :/

Well dang, I had an entire post ready to go and power went out so Ive got to write it up again..

I am trying to decide on my first bike and originally thinking about the 125 due to its price, weight and height blah blah, and its relatively close to the same seat height as a road bike. My dad has to chime in though and tell me I should go for a 250 though since I would get "bored" of the 125 after a week once I learn how to ride it. That doesnt seem to be the case with many of you here though. The problems I have with the 250 is the size, power and weight of it...it is a little intimidating to me. My boss has a husky something-600 in our shop and it seems pretty large (to me). I dont think I could learn on something that large right off. I am 5'10 though, so I dont think I would have a problem putting my feet on the ground on it. I do only weigh like 150 lbs soaking wet though, wouldnt you think the 125 would get me moving pretty well? Im almost 22 so Im not growing super fast and gonna put on a lot of weight any time soon. What would you suggest? I really hate the unknown and love new stuff so the 125 fits my price range much better once gear is taken care of. One more question, what can the 125 top out at, speed wise...and could it be street legalized if a light kit is made up for it (CA)? (or do you need all the fancy tach and speedo stuff for that) :thumbsup:

I have your answer for you concerning what bike to get, and learn on. There is no question, for your learning, and your 5'10" height, I suggest the Kawasaki KLX300, a superb, lightweight, and very Mellow bike.

Power is good enough not to bore you, but not strong enough to scare a beginner, and it's got the good suspension and liquid cooled engine, not the sorry low cost junk like those other trail bikes.

if you don't like Kawasaki then get a Honda XR250R, very mellow and super easy to ride and it also has real suspension, not junk.

Good luck man enjoy whichever bike you get im sure you will!

As of Jan. 1, 2004, you can no longer make a dirt bike street legal in Ca. However, you can still buy a used bike which was made street legal before Jan. 1, 2004.

(this is what I have heard from other guys in the forum)

LL.

'00 XR650R/ uncorked/jetted/street legal

XR650sm.jpg

Oh thats right.. I heard my boss talk to some of the guys we work with (at Infineon :thumbsup:) about that legalization thing. Oh well its not that big of a deal. Thanks for the advice, I'll definately look into it :devil:

Get the 250, your dad is right, you will be bored with the 125 in about a week. Once you get the hang of the 250 you will probably even get bored with it after a year or so. The best thing to do is buy a cheap used 250 cc 4 stroke ride it for awhile so you can figure out your style and then start looking for the bike you really want. First bikes have a tendency to not be perfect and most get sold rather quickly.

Well I have had my ttr250 about 1 month now and love it. I am almost 21, 5'11" and about 225 lbs. I just bought it to ride in the woods in my back yard and take to other trails. I have had no complaints so far. This is my first new bike (I got a '74 Suzuki TS185 when I was 14) and love it so far. I dont think I could have picked a better bike for what I use it for. Like said above I think you would get bored with the 125. I would go for the 250. Let us know what you get! :thumbsup:

I would definitely go with the 250 4 stroke of any kind. With your hight, you've already out grown the 125. Just find a nice cheap 250 somewhere and learn on that. Later on down the road you may want something bigger or you might end up getting another 250. :thumbsup:

Go for the 250. I tell you from esperience, man. I bought the 125LE for my first and it didn't last a full year b4 I got bored. It's just too small to keep you happy. With that said, it is an EXCELLENT bike to learn on so long as you are prepared to trade up after about 8 months. I got me a KLX400SR baby. Yeah, gimme some sugar. That's right. :thumbsup:

Go for at least the TTR250 or a Suzi DRZ-250 with electric start. The TTR125 is a great bike and my daughter loves. It's light weight makes it an easy bike to ride but if you are every thinking of making it street legal, you'll want something that can keep up in traffic and the TTR250 is barely enough. I have a Suzi DR350 for me and that's a great street legal dirt bike, run circles around the TTR250 and you can get a very nice used one for about what a new TTR125 will cost or if money is not an issue, get the DRZ400E. I've used it on a motocross track, tight single track trails, open desert and on CA freeways and it's great. If you are in So Cal, then most of the riding is probably desert or fire trails and you can never have too much HP in the desert as well as the stability of a heavier bike at high speeds.

You are way too big for the TT-R125. I weigh in at 125lbs soaking wet and stand 5'6". I have no trouble throwing around the TT-R250, and the power is just right for the tight technical trails on the east coast. Don't let the size of the bike fool you, even the 250 will feel small in a few months.

Id say the 250 is perfect for your size and weight. :thumbsup:

If you find that riding tight and technical trails is not your cup of tea, then you will end up finding the 250 too small. Choose the ttr250 for slow technical riding, or a WR250 for faster wide open trail riding.

i would get the TTR-250. I was going to get the TTR-125L, but i waited too long, and i grew! :cry: You can have your 250 for years to come, it is deffinetley not an underpowered bike, so dont worry. I am still a little small for my dads TTR-250, but i can ride it fine, i have no problem. You are gonna like this bike. :cry: