Sign in to follow this  

good stories on reliability?

Okay, I'm still thinking of getting a RMZ250. In these forums we tend to write when we have problems. I would like to hear from people who have had good experiences with the reliablity of their bikes.

There are lots of us lurking out here. We've had good luck with ours, great bike it's not perfect but it is lots of fun to ride. No reliability problems yet. Just change the oil regularly.

I love my bike. It has only overheated once because I was going pretty slow in some tight trails. Change the oil often and keep up on other things and you should be fine. It's not a two stroke so don't treat it like one.

I have had my since November 2003. I have adjusted the valves once (after one race the intakes tightened up) and check them regularly. The bike has six hair scrambles and ten enduros on it now. I keep the filter clean and sealed. I run Honda GN4 oil, nothing fancy, and change it every 60 - 100 miles and change the oil filter every other oil change. I do not over rev the bike nor do I let it sit and idle. These bikes pump no water or oil when idling. I have seen steam come out of the overflow once while stuck on a hill waiting on the trail to clear but I have had to add no more than a cup of water after a race. I run Pro Honda premix.

The only modifications I have done is the two piece water pump cover / oil filter deal and an eighteen inch rear wheel and home made spark arrestor (screen in stock muffler). I did not change jetting, and yes it pops sometimes on deceleration but that takes less energy than yelling at someone. Ha Ha.

I run valvoline motorcycle oil in it and change it every 2-3 tanks of gas (that's a lot of trail riding). Usually you'll feel the shifting get rocky. No problems except it got hot once when I took it in some real tight stuff (turned out to be a mtn bike shortcut go figure) :thumbsup: other than that I just kick her over a couple times and go ride.

Had mine for 8 months before I got hurt and never even had to adjust the valves. I Just changed the oil after every ride, the oil filter every 3rd ride and the air filter every ride. Had to keep an eye on the spokes the first 5 or 6 rides and replacesd the junk stock chain with a good o-ring unit and installed a stainless steel rear sprocke. The new owner of my 2004 KXF went from consistent 12th place finishes in cross-country to top five the very first ride. There are a lot more of us with no problems, the owners with problems are just more vocal precisely because they are having issues and are looking for help :thumbsup::devil:

I also have nothing but good things to say as have had no problems with about 20 hours on the bike, mostly MX. I don't race, competition anyway, but me and my non-racing friends can still rip up a track and hit pretty much every jump out there. I haven't checked the valves yet but am going to. I run Motorex formula 4T oil and Coolanol coolant and have a PC waterpump/filter cover. Yesterday I rode my buddies 04 YZ250F and I would have to say that it does have more power and pulls longer but he really thought the KXF had better suspension and felt a little smoother. Now go and buy this bike already!

I had absolutely zero problems with my RMZ, for the first almost 9 months. At that point I had my intake valve tighten up. Instead of shimming, I had the valve replaced. That lasted two months and it's already lost clearance. I just shimmed it, and I'm hoping for the best. But, if you follow the pattern on the boards, typicly shimming is only temporary.

Aside from the valve issue, I absolutely love the bike. I think once the stainless steel valves come out, the bike will be perfect.

I'm not a rider who screams the motor, or beats the bike. I ride the bike like an open classer, and I still had the problem. I would just go into this with your eyes open, and just know that there's a pretty good chance it'll happen. If you can accept that you may have to go through this maintanance every so often, everything else is fine.

~Tex

RMZ

i have an 05' rmz and love it.best bike i have owned by far.i have nt had it that long,but have not had 1 problem with anything that happened last year.they changed everytthing that was bad last year also.im running maxima extra4 10w-40 oil. seems to be fine.

3 hare scrambles, 7 trips with the family. 4 oil/filter changes. 11 air filter cleanings and I always close the throttle while I am in the air.(unlike most 125 class motorcross jockies)nothing yet :thumbsup: