Sign in to follow this  

Night Riding, Looking For Lights

We wouldn't ride enough at night to probably warrant my fiddling with the bike to make a light work. *Maybe* twice a year.

Is anyone using one of those helmet-mounted battery stick on lights that I see advertized in the back of magazines? Your thoughts?

the Niteryder or is it Nytrider--whatever--get the one with the micro HID....its $400 but works well...mountain biker stores carry em...

More than one of the serious dudes in Baja 1000 or 24 Hr Glen Helen use them as back up

Helmet lights rock. They are more useful than a bike mounted headlight, cause they are always pointed where you are looking, instead of off into space. Check out Cyclops and Trailtech for good options as well, they both make battery operated versions, and both are good.

I have the Cyclops, but the bike powered version. They tell me the batt. version is even brighter, and mine is plenty bright, so it must be good! :thumbsup:

Helmet lights rock. They are more useful than a bike mounted headlight, cause they are always pointed where you are looking, instead of off into space. Check out Cyclops and Trailtech for good options as well, they both make battery operated versions, and both are good.

I have the Cyclops, but the bike powered version. They tell me the batt. version is even brighter, and mine is plenty bright, so it must be good! :thumbsup:

I cannot find the bike-powered version. Do you think I could get this setup with the 12v battery charger and use it either way, runn off the bike or walk away from it after unplugging it?

I've seen Mt Bikes with lights out in the canyons so bright that I had to stop cuz I could not see. Is this the culprit?

Niterider has been having problems with their batteries dying out fairly early.

If you want to use H.I.D., Lume lighting makes an inexpensive, but reliable light setup- I think its called the Strada. I think its around $200. I regularly do mtn bike night rides with someone who uses that setup and it really lights up the trails well.

If you're not too thrilled with the bluish light of H.I.Ds, the JetLites Phantom 20W light setup is awesome and around $200, also (if you look in the right places). This is what I use and its by far, the brightest non-H.I.D. light system that I've seen around.

If you want to go all out and have money to spare, the Lupine Edison is a top notch system. I have yet to see one in person b/c they're so expensive ($800, I think) but people who are serious 24hr racers use that setup and claim is the best system out there. Ha, it better be for that money! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I did a boatload of research last summer before I got my lights so this is the brunt of what I came up with. Good luck with whatever decide and have fun!

You need to check on Light and Motion. This is the light I use for mtn biking and it will no doubt work well for offroad. I use the HID light ($$) but it looks like a car headlight shining out into the night. I mount it on the bike (branches rip things off my helmet) but you could helmet mount it too. The battery will easily fit in a camelback or fanny pack. Mine lasts 3 hrs on high beam. I think you get 3.5hrs on "low" but you could easily ride with it on low. Check mtn bike stores to purchase. For a good review of all mtn bike lights, look to www.mtbr.com

Hope this helps.

Kent

2BB, check out the Lead Dog Helmet light at helmetlight.com for their bike powered light. It works well and I have used it and it does make a difference. I liked it so much I bought one for myself and at about $85 delivered it's a good bargin.