Sign in to follow this  

So I went on my first DRZ ride in CO

My lame-o buddy, who lives in Colorado Springs and who I used to ride with extensively back in CA, blew me off. Seems a date with a chick is more important than riding with an old friend that he has not seen in 6 years. I am gonna have to have a talk with that boy. Since my grand dirt bike plans were shot down, I figured I would go for a ride on my TL1000. I wheeled it out, then I spied the DRZ, which I have not ridden in over a month.

It was late in the day, but I figured I might as well park the snarling sportbike and jump on the DRZ as there is a vacant "kid area" type field about half a mile from my house that I spotted recently. It is probably about 100 acres of land with little tracks and some jumps. In other words, it is pretty limiting but what the hey, I can jump on my street legal knobby shod DRZ and pop on over there in about 5 minutes so I figured I might as well. So I start riding around that little bullring of a place, expecting to be bored. I crave long range cross country riding after all. I also expected it to be posted no tresspassing. It was not. Bonus!

My DRZ took me back to when I was 11 years old and just starting out riding in a field much like that one. Pretty soon I was on the gas going hot doing laps, sliding around (both ends sometimes - whee!), doing wheelies, catching air off those little jumps and generally having a riot. There was a curvy little track and I figured it was my civic duty to the 11 year olds in the area to burn it in with my snarling 400. Lotsa tail wagging rear end out corner exits were performed. I did many long hanging wheelies on a trail near the edge of the land and in plain sight of the 470 freeway for all to see. I felt 11 years old again, if only for a time. :thumbsup:

I will visit there again sometime, when I have an hour to kill and feel like riding :devil:

There ain't nothing besides sex makes a fella feel as good as having fun on a dirt bike. I healed from my dads death on one and every terrible thing that has happened since then. They are my salvation from a life of boredom. Can't think of anything wrong with feeling 11 one more time. Glad to hear of it. prairiedawg :devil::awww::thumbsup:

I've been waiting to hear from you now that you are here in CO! Hang on to that 11 year old inside as long as you can! Cheers, and let me know when you want to come up my way, I'd love to show you around! :devil::thumbsup:

Seemed like everything was bigger and harder when your 11 years old.

I remember some of the places where I used to ride my bike for hours.

If we were lucky someone on a motorcyle would cruise threw and leave what we thought were huge tracks and we used to follow them around.

Back in the early 60's there really weren't dirt bikes like we think of them now.But some guys rode there street bikes in fields a bit.

On my way to the hardware store where I live now there is a little field with trails and I usually cut across it for that same feeling you described.

Nice story!!

what are you doing next suday?i think i can sneak out for a early morning rampart thrash....

I wanted a primer before heading up to Taylor in a couple weeks and planned to ride this Sunday. I get to Rampart via Dakan Road (off Hwy 105). I haven't explored the trails north of there yet, but wave if you see me. :thumbsup:

I promised Mrs. Duke that I would take her to Estes Park next weekend.

I definitely want to hit the trails with ya though and to personally shake your hand and thank you for all the guidance you have selflessly lent to this forum :thumbsup: