Sign in to follow this  

WR rear tire sizes

I'm just due for some new tires and was looking at my manual. The sizes for the US are 100/100 while for Australia (where I live) the size is 120/100. Does anyone know why they are different? What would be the advantages of putting a 100/100 on? Would it steer quicker? Are the rim sizes the same? Cheers MarkyK

In aus the first number is the width of the tyre in mm while the second number is the hieght as a ratio of the width. The storys about which one to go are varied and diverse and will rave on about rotational mass, rolling resistance etc etc. Basically about a 100/100 or 110/100 is the go. If you go for a 110/100 or 120 /100 you will get slightly better performacne in soft loam and sand, but slightly less accelleration in all other conditions. The difference is insignificant. Ive run all three and cant feel the difference in the same tyre unless your in real soft sand in which case the 120 /100 sits on top a little better.

Where I ride its mainly very hard so I'll go for the 100/100 and see what happens. I'm 5'8" so could do with lowering it a little bit so going from a 120/100 to a 100/100 should help lower it a bit. Cheers for the advice.

In aus the second number is the width of the tyre in mm while the first number is the hieght as a % of the width. The storys about which one to go are variedc and diverse and will rave on about rotational mass, rolling resistance etc etc. Basically about a 100/100 or 110/100 is the go. If you go for a 110/100 or 120 /100 you will get slightly better performacne in soft loam and sand, but slightly less accelleration in all other conditions. The difference is insignificant. Ive run all three and cant feel the difference in the same tyre unless your in real soft sand in which case the 120 /100 sits on top a little better.

Strange, I always remembered it as x/y = width (x) % to height (y), so 120/100 means the width is 120% of the height.

Are you sure you got that straight, or is that an Aussie thing? :thumbsup: