REV LIMITER

How come I have never hit my RL with the mods I have . 3x3 DJ kit , 25 pilot and a full yosh with med tec insert ? I thought this was easy to do after these mods . I was riding with a friend , with a stock bike . On the road we were so close ???? What gives ?? And no it wasnt the rider :devil: Rolling on throttle from 5 to 70 on a highway , it was neck and neck ? Shouldnt I have pulled on him with the mods ?? ?

Sorry, stats 2001 vs 2004 DRZ S .

The Rev limiter on your S is set to 10,000 RPM. You should easily bump up against it, in at least the first few gears.. Should feel like a stuttering type deal.

As for not hitting the revlimiter before shifting,, Well, lets just say, that in my opinion that is a very overreaching statement and attached to one persons personal riding style and the bike they have bought or built for them self’s. If your bike pulls all the way to the limiter, using the entire power band is not incorrect, and shifting at the limiter is an acceptable practice. Additionally, many times the need to hold a gear through the corner, up to the apex, or just a sec longer down the back strait to hold another rider off, means your right at the limiter,, and shifting when the situation allows.

Bottom line,,, yes your bike, stock or otherwise should easily hit the limiter,, and shift the bike when it stops making power, or the situation dictates.

If you look at any of the dyno charts for this bike and the mods done to it you will see that the power increase is mainly found in the upper end of the RPM band. these mods allow the bike to breath at those higher RPM's.

If you have the same tires, sprockets, weight the same, shifted at the same point ( under 7000 rpm) you would not see much of a difference between bikes. On the trails you would see the DJ jetting kit give you better throttle responds, not so much faster speed but when you give her she goes. the air box and Yosh will let you rev right up to the limiter and it will pull right up to the limiter.

With the stock air box and exhaust you will hit what I call the wall around 7000-8000 rpm where the engine starts to choke as it can't breath right so you shift gears to get back in to the power found in the 4000-7000 rpm.

Take your bike out and hit the limiter a few times to get a feel for where it is, I don't know if hitting it all the time is bad or not but a few times is ok IMHO. Idealy with a 10,000 limiter you should be trying to shift around 9500 to make full use of the new power band you bike has. At least when you are trying to really get going.

Try the same race again with your buddy and run you bike right up close to the limiter, you should find that you will be able to pull away from him now. ?

I don't know about hurting your bike, as with the Yosh CDI and Cams the bike now has a 11000 rpm limit. The limit is controled by the CDI.

But if you are hitting it in 5th I would suggest that you might want to look at your gearing, Might drop a tooth on the rear sprocket , will allow you to go a little bit faster in 5th and not hit the limiter.

Might even win more races. ?

It won't hurt your bike revving it up that high. That's why there's a rev limiter, so you don't "over rev" the engine and cause damage like floating a valve for example. On sportbikes most of the power is up top, once you hit the powerband so to speak the engine races to redline and then you shift and try to keep it in that "optimum power" zone. It's the same for every engine really, unless the engines cammed for low/mid range then hitting redline would'nt be needed ?

I never hit the rev limiter until I did the 3X3 DJ mod and pipe. Now, thanks to Dr. Burned, my bike pulls like a locomotive up to 9800 rpm. ? Then, as prescribed by the good doctor, it shutters and I shift. Repeat this procedure until the anxiety diminishes. When the bike is making such good power, who is thinking about shifting. :devil::awww:

I still have yet to hit the RL ? Is it because , my bike is not broken in yet, 535 miles ? I know what a RL is I have hit it in almost ever car I have owned and ( some not owned ,Rental) ? I have floated a few valves myself . The bike just doesnt seem to have it up there . Its not making anymore power when im shifting . Would be a waste not to shift .

all I meant was if your going in a straight line trying to take off as fast as possible... And you hit the rev limiter, then shift and repeat your losing time! The rev limiter chokes the bike, slowing it down. Not to mention that last little bit before the rev limiter is a droping peak. So to shift right before the rev limter is ideal.

Holding a gear to save movements/time in certian situations is a whole other story.

Maybe consider the posibility of your jetting to be out of spec for your location. I hardly ever hit the rev limter before I opened her up and made her flow more freely

all I meant was if your going in a straight line trying to take off as fast as possible... And you hit the rev limiter, then shift and repeat your losing time! The rev limiter chokes the bike, slowing it down. Not to mention that last little bit before the rev limiter is a droping peak. So to shift right before the rev limter is ideal.

Holding a gear to save movements/time in certian situations is a whole other story.

Maybe consider the posibility of your jetting to be out of spec for your location. I hardly ever hit the rev limter before I opened her up and made her flow more freely

Im at sea level . 142.5 main(stock) 25 pilot , JD needle and spring and a 3x3 whole . I could open it up more ?? Maybe , that is the problem ? It just doesnt have the pull on the top end . Great low and mid range , just doesnt pull out the back door . 525 miles , maybe its not broken in yet ??

Could tires make that much of a differnce ? He has road tire and I have dunlop 606s ..