Sign in to follow this  

Neutural switch overide

Anyone disconnect the neutural switch on their 230? A buddy of mine has a 230 and he hates the fact that he has to put the bike in neutural to restart if he stalls it. I know there has to be a way to fool the system but not exactly sure what since I do not have a 230.

If he pulls in the clutch it should start.

If you pull off the cover for the front sprocket and you see those wires in the corner? If you remove those and remove the wires going to the switch, I'm pretty sure that should solve your problem. Remember to tape the ends or completely take them out so they will not short out. You may want to cut them shorter so that they will not snag on the front sprocket.

For those that choose to do this.. It's not the neutrural switch you override,, It is the clutch lever interlock. Bypass that,and you get two things,, You get rid of a possible fault from a broken switch. and Two, you can now start your bike in gear if you so choose

oh, and if you bust a clutch lever just replace it with a CR lever and perch!

the 230 lever shares nothing with any other Honda lever and is an order only part!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I installed the CR lever and perch for my bike after the Honda dealer told me special order for CRF230 lever, and I wanted to ride right then!!. I just installed a male/male spade electrical connector between the two lever switch wires, add a little shrink tubing, and everytyhing works fine. Just remember that the starter will work at any time,any gear,clutch in or out..... be safe.

I installed the CR lever and perch for my bike after the Honda dealer told me special order for CRF230 lever, and I wanted to ride right then!!. I just installed a male/male spade electrical connector between the two lever switch wires, add a little shrink tubing, and everytyhing works fine. Just remember that the starter will work at any time,any gear,clutch in or out..... be safe.

This is a common mod.. I've done it to most all my bikes now.. The CR perch and levers can be had in most any bike store.. so ya never have to worry about going with out.. My DRZ, the wife’s CRF230, and the boys CRF80 all have umm :devil:

EDIT: Note,, My DRZ had a CRF clutch perch,, till I went Hydraulic,, I'll never go back to cable.. Magura all the way :thumbsup:

ya man you don't have to put it in neutral just pull in the clutch. and if that doesn't work make sure the wires hooked write by the clutch are hooked up.

A muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch silkier lever action, and I have even heard of finer control over the clutch. I have never used a hydraulic clutch before, but I can tell you that hydraulic disc brakes on mountian bikes are waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than cable v-brakes! :devil: But, those are mtb brakes, not a clutch. I think that they would have about the same results, though... :thumbsup:

Plus, they look way better than a cable clutch line heading to your clutch.

Picture this:

You're riding your 230F on a tight technical trail on the side of some mountain in CO when the front wheel skates off the trail. You manage to put the brakes on, and only the front wheel is off the trail, pointing downhill a bit.

You kill the engine and make sure the 230F is in gear. Then you get off the bike on the uphill side, and begin dragging the bike up onto the trail by pulling on the handlebars. You get the front wheel almost up to the trail, but it slips a bit, and as it starts to slide, you pull at the handlebars with great force and because of the angle, your wrist brushes the starter button. The 230F roars into life (you twisted the throttle as you yanked on the bars) and the bike leaps out of your hands and crashes down the mountain with the engine helping it along.

Hey, you saved all that money on the lever and perch....

PS And there was no engine bog, either. You finally tuned that sucker out with a bigger pilot :thumbsup:

Picture this:

You're riding your 230F on a tight technical trail on the side of some mountain in CO when the front wheel skates off the trail. You manage to put the brakes on, and only the front wheel is off the trail, pointing downhill a bit.

You kill the engine and make sure the 230F is in gear. Then you get off the bike on the uphill side, and begin dragging the bike up onto the trail by pulling on the handlebars. You get the front wheel almost up to the trail, but it slips a bit, and as it starts to slide, you pull at the handlebars with great force and because of the angle, your wrist brushes the starter button. The 230F roars into life (you twisted the throttle as you yanked on the bars) and the bike leaps out of your hands and crashes down the mountain with the engine helping it along.

PS And there was no engine bog, either. You finally tuned that sucker out with a bigger pilot :thumbsup:

Picture this,, your an inexperienced rider that has no business outside of a parking lot... you manage to ride off the established trail, and have no real ability to get it safely back on the trail,, you struggle,, manage to do just about everything wrong,, including somehow, pushing a starter button that is well inboard of the grips.. Because you have no clue.. while wrestling with your bike you failed to take even a simple and basic safety step of turning off the key located conveniently right in front of you.. So the motor starts to turn over while the bike is in gear,, luckily, your have just enough brains to hear the starter engage and get your foot off the starter button,, the bike fails to start, of course,, as it will most every time if in gear and the starter button is only briefly depressed,, and all is well... But hey,, at least it will start once you get it back on the trail, since you replaced the failure prone OEM safety switch interlock clutch perch and lever. :devil:

Funny,, I think My "picture" is much more likely and based on reality then yours :lol:

It's all about choices.. you make yours, I make mine.. While I've never seen anyone I ride with in the situation above(either of them :awww:) it is possible I suppose, though not likely. So, with every MOD, comes some decision on if it is right for you, your ability and experience, riding area and bike. If it works for you do it,, if not, modify the suggestion, or pass it up.. No harm, no foul.

Picture this:

PS And there was no engine bog, either. You finally tuned that sucker out with a bigger pilot :devil:

This sounds like a real story--Rainbow Trail I presume.

:thumbsup: