Sign in to follow this  

Deep scratches in side panel

Rode my new Z400E the other day from Crested Butte CO to Aspen and dumped it over. Front tire washed out in a "S" turn. Maybe I am too anal but the resulting couple of scratches over the muffler panel plastic bug me. Any way to get them out and restore the polish of the original? Perhaps I should leave them in as a badge of my poor riding! Thanks

PS. Glad I had hand guards and knee pads!

Soon you won't even be able to see the panel from the scratches :thumbsup:. Then you'll know you are a rider :devil:

I'll trade you side panels. :devil: Been told that it is a badge of use and to exhibit it proudly. I think mine looks better slightly scratched up than pristine. At least people know I've used it the right way and that's why I bought it. :thumbsup:

Gotta be kidding..you're worried about some scratches on the sidepanel ?

If you actually use the bike in the dirt, be prepared to get it niiice and scratched. :thumbsup::devil:

:D:thumbsup::lol: :lol:Hells bells I did more than that getting mine out of the dealership. I have never owned a dirtbike without scratches in it. It sure wouldn't be mine if it didn't have some. I ride through timber that knocks gauges out at times both me and the bike. I replace when they break. prairiedawg ps. thanks for the good laugh! :devil::awww:

What you need to do is tell me where you live,,,let me use the bike for 1 afternoon and you will never whine about the scratches agian :thumbsup::devil::awww::lol:

The first ones are the hardest. My bike was pristine before my very first recent drop. The scratches in the plastic glare at me....but in reality, the really are no that bad...and I have no longer have a reason to be afraid to replace my perfect factory decals with my aftermarket set.

I am sure more will follow. But if your going to use it for what it was made for...you might as well get used to it. After all...these are not show bikes. If you want that...get a harley. They are all about bling that never gets dirty.

Plastic is cheap to replace for the most part. My blue plastic is just about perfect still... when I do thrash it then I will just buy new black plastic :thumbsup:

get rid of the death wing tires and you won't have that problem (as much). ALL bikes ridden in the dirt, regardless of rider skill level have those scratches. just read my sig...

like my name says, I am new at this. What are death wing tires? What do you recommend for rock, boulder, dirt riding?

It took a while before I figured out that "deathwings" are the stock S-model tires. The tread pattern is a wing-like pattern. I have the Dunlop 606 tires. I had been told they were the most aggressive knobbies while still being street legal. Great tires so far. Absolute night and day difference in handling. Plus they do fine on road.

Back to scratches - Scatches on a dirt bike are, indeed, badges of "machismo". Street bikes are to be pampered and polished to a fine shine with any parts with scratches to be replaced or else you're taking the chance to be looked down on because you dared scratch something.

I always say I want the bike well used but not abused. Scratches come with the territory.

Dont bother with that Plastic ReNew kit stuff. I tried that on a Fender for a bike for sale and I spent all day trying to make it look decent