Sign in to follow this  

CRF70 help

Firstly, I'm posting this here because of the superior collective knowledge of the XR250/400 group and there is not muchn traffic on the XR50-200 group. My son was riding his CRF the other day. He was heading up a steep face of a hill. As he describes it, he went to downshift and the bike stopped. He then says it rolled down hill backwards until he fell over. When I went to check it out I righted the bike and could not actuate the kickstart. It seemed locked solid. Tried to see if it was in fact in neutral and played around with it but the rear wheel was locked up. I pushed it up the hill with the rear wheel skidding to where it was flat and could better have a look. After rocking it back and forth and working the shifter it seemed to get into neutral and it would kick over. Question is? do you guys think it seized. Those bikes, even in gear you can kick them through. Would the fact that he rolled backward when in gear, not sure if engine was running or dead cause an effect that mimicks a seized engine. It starts and runs ok now. When you rev the engine and let it idle down it seems to make a slight knocking sound. Not sure if that was there before or if it is normal. The bike has about 10-12 hours on it and the oil was changed after the first ride.

Thanks guys.

Joe

'01 XR4, '01XR2, '02XR70, '04CRF70

Maybe rolling backwards in gear locked your clutch up, I haven't really ran into that. Ours will kick over in gear but it pulls the bike forward. If it caused the motor to spin backwards after it died you may have a valve problem causing the knock :thumbsup:. I would definately check the valve clearance and clutch. I doubt it seized up with only 12 hours though.