Sign in to follow this  

Riding in Colorado...

I see that some of you live in Colorado, and others of you travel out here to do some riding with your DRZ's. Since I am considering a 400S, I am curious about your riding experiences in the Colorado mountains. How does the S handle the rocky hill climbs and terrain of Colorado? How is your bike set-up? What jetting? Is the DRZ really a good weapon for Colorado's mountainous terrain?

Yep, it's awesome. Runs ok at altitude, even with stock jetting (I'd still change it, though). Plenty of power, handles decently, despite it's heft and it's street legal (the 400S, at least).

I have the E model and it works great for me and the kind of riding I do. It seems the most popular bikes I see here in Colorado are DRZ's and KTMs out on the trails/roads. A few Yamahas and old Hondas and lots of DRZ's and even more KTM's. It seems that the "orange bikes" are really getting popular here. Lack of power has never been a problem for me but I ride pretty tame stuff compared to some. I have done lots of long rides, 80-170 miles a day of rocky jeep roads, single track, fire roads, etc. and have had no issues. As for jetting, check with Burned or others. I have the same jetting as the bike was delivered with and it works fine, no issues.

I went over the pearl pass between crested butte and aspen on my dr-z see pics

http://www.rideks.com/photos/trip/colorado_july_2004.htm

-danno

Nice pics, Danno :devil: Is the DR-Z400S yours, or your friends? Do you know what year it is? I am looking at a 2001 model for just the kind of riding you have in the pics, and everyone is warning me about the stock suspension (I am about 200#). Looking at your pics makes me feel a little more eager to get this bike :thumbsup: Was the suspension on that bike stock?

The stock forks on a 01 model will be really weak for someone your weight. Might wanna consider going up juuust one year to an '02. It will make a biig difference.

Thanks for the link. I read through it, and I am wondering what the differences are between the 2001 forks, and the "E" forks? I have heard that they used the forks from an RM 250? Are they inverted? Anyone got a spec sheet on them?

They are not RM forks. Some people replace the crappy 00-01 forks with RM inverted forks. Good luck finding a set cheap.

00-01 S forks are damper rod forks. They are non-adjustable. They can be improved...but will not match the performance of the 02 and up cartride forks.

They are not RM forks. Some people replace the crappy 00-01 forks with RM inverted forks. Good luck finding a set cheap.

00-01 S forks are damper rod forks. They are non-adjustable. They can be improved...but will not match the performance of the 02 and up cartride forks.

Does the RM setup work well? If so, what about using forks from a CR 250? I have access to 3 different sets of those at no cost to myself. 2 are inverted, one is not. I know it sounds like I am reaching here, but the CR forks are in great shape and I wouldn't mind using them at all. Would they work? Would it throw off the overall feel of the machine? Any thoughts on this?

:thumbsup: Just bought a DR-Z400E and have done the Pearl Pass ride, also to Aspen over Taylor pass via Cement Creek. Pictures you labeled mountain top is above Reno Divide and I have been there on my snowmobile also. I have the pleasure of living in Mt Crested Butte and get to enjoy this terrain all summer and winter. I also mountain bike and have done all the same rides on it. Takes much longer and lots more work but fun. When you ride moto, just remember to slow way down for the bicyclers cause even though I ride my DR-Z I still get pissed when moto bikes go by me at 40-50 mph on a jeep trail or worse on a single track. National Forest Service is expressing thoughts of pinching off some of the trails to motorcycles because of complaints of noise and speed, especially up the Cement Creek area. That is the common access to Bear, Flag, Deadmans, Reno, Double Top, Taylor and hundreds of miles more of single and double track. We've got to share with everyone or lose it. Awesome pictures!