Sign in to follow this  

Desert Season Is Here!

I don't know where the rest of you were riding this weekend, but Dr. Thumper and I checked out the dez on Sunday. Turns out it was cooler out there than in San Diego. We rode from Painted Gorge to Ocotillo Wells OHV and back. AWESOME!

Had to rub it in, because attempting the desert this time of year is a crapshoot as far as the heat is concerned.

Gotta love riding in the dez! Looking forward to the winter!

Late.

Red66

Im from Long Beach area. Been to Ocatillo 1 time. It was fun. Where is Painted Gorge?? How long of a ride did you do?? I rode Jawbone and Dove Springs Canyon 2 weeks ago. Like you say... crap shoot. It was hot. I cant wait for it to cool off either!! Dez season is comming!!!!!!

Painted Gorge is right where you enter the desert when traveling on 8 East out of San Diego. Go in there and basically head north. San Felipe Wash is your main landmark to follow. If you are serious, let me know and I can give you more specific directions. We didnt have an odo. on the ride, but it is 65-75 miles, roughly.

Jumping the gun a bit? Unless you get there at 6:00 in the morning. I was out at Perris and it was still plenty hot. Think I'll wait another month or so...

Well... when any of you guys decide it has cooled down enough and you want to come to Ridgecrest for a ride, let me know. I live here, I'll be happy to go with you.

Jimbo

Where is Ridgecrest? Do you need to be dual-sported? What kind of riding is it?

Painted Gorge is right where you enter the desert when traveling on 8 East out of San Diego. Go in there and basically head north. San Felipe Wash is your main landmark to follow. If you are serious, let me know and I can give you more specific directions. We didnt have an odo. on the ride, but it is 65-75 miles, roughly.

you can also get there from superstition mountain which is just a littlw ways farther down the 8. that's a good ride also.

I'm interested the next time you guys go out to Plaster City/Ocotillo. I rode at Painted Gorge once last year. Seems like a cool place.

I don't know where the rest of you were riding this weekend, but Dr. Thumper and I checked out the dez on Sunday. Turns out it was cooler out there than in San Diego. We rode from Painted Gorge to Ocotillo Wells OHV and back. AWESOME!

Had to rub it in, because attempting the desert this time of year is a crapshoot as far as the heat is concerned.

Gotta love riding in the dez! Looking forward to the winter!

Late.

Red66

That new bike you got come with A/C? Sweet!

Where is Ridgecrest? Do you need to be dual-sported? What kind of riding is it?

Ridgecrest is about an hour & a half north of Lancaster. There is desert riding here. Lot's of variety... big open flat dirt road type trails to single track hill climbing. You can ride for a month of Sundays and not ride the same trail twice.

Jimbo

Never ridden in the desert,looking for the chance to try it out :devil:.pm me hopefuly my crank will be in by then :thumbsup:.

Adam,

If you want to ride to Ridgecrest, I'll show you some cool desert riding...

Jimbo

Anyone still ride out around the Bell Mountain area in the High Desert, or is that all a housing tract or mall now? :thumbsup:

Maddog, My buddy and I were out there yesterday. We parked down Stoddard Wells Rd just east of Dale Evans Pkwy. We rode our usual loop out towards the 247, past the dinosaur house and back to camp. We rode at about noon, after taking care of a pinched tube. It was about the mid 90's with a nice cool breeze and some clouds passing the block the sun. The only development that I saw that is new is a large warehousing complex a few miles south of Stoddard Wells along Dale Evans.

Baja, thanks for the info. I had so many great riding weekends out that way in the late 80's-early 90's. Great to know that place is still alive. :thumbsup: I was just wondering, as nobody ever speaks much of that area here on TT. We used to ride all over in the Phelan area too. My favorite spot over there is where there is a pretty gnarly hill climb with a badly whooped out bottom before the ascent. That thing took some juevos and some horsepower. :devil: