Sign in to follow this  

anyone like the 400EXC?

I have a 525 but I am long for a short stroke motor.

Anyone make the change over?

any regrets?

I am in N CA and might be in the market for a 525 for dual sport. Let me know if you are going to sell.

We have both a, '06 525 EXC and an '04 400 EXC. Both have had the suspension done by precision concepts, both have scotts dampners, skid plates, large fuel tanks (MXC on the 400, IMS on the 525) and the rest of the usual armor and desert protection. Both are properly jetted. They are both excellent bikes. No one in my family races, and we split our riding time between the california deserts and the eastern sierras. I've let a lot of people ride both of the bikes, and with their comments added to my own experience I'd offer this opinion:

The 400 is easier to ride, more forgiving of ham-fisted throttle application, and is a little more "civilized" to ride in most situations. The 400 does not have the absolute raw grunt of the 525, but it has plenty of power and smoother delivery than the 525. A lot of people post opinions that the 400 is a "much better" woods and tight single-track bike, but I like both and really don't have a favorite. Again, the 400 is a little more forgiving on the throttle control issue, and that can make it a little easier to ride in the tight stuff, but having that endless grunt of the 525 really has benefits in the woods and rocks as well. I've also seen a lot of posts that indicate that the 525 "feels heavier" than the 400. I don't sense that. They feel about the same to me, and I don't really notice any appreciable difference in the torque affect on reving the motor a low speed, so I don't buy into the "feels heavier" concept. Our 525 actually weights a couple of pounds less than the 400.

It is noticably easier to pop the front wheel up in virtually any condition on the 525. But, it is also very easy to lift the front wheel on the 400 whenever I seem to need to do so.

The 400 does get significantly better fuel mileage than the 525. Probably 4 or 5 miles to the gallon better. Both are jetted rich enough to keep the motor cool, but I can remember exactly what jets I have in each bike.

I'd be hard-pressed to choose one over the other. I think that if I had to sell one of them, I'd keep the 400 because I'd probably get more money for the later model 525. I actually think that I am a little faster when riding the 400 as well, but I don't race, so that is a subjective opinion.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 400 at all. It will just be slightly different.

Have not gone "back" as I've never owned a 5XX.

But the ss 400 is a blast and for around $500 and a nights work you can bump the 400 to a 453 (best motor KTM never built) and have the extra grunt and the ss power delivery.

Think KTM made a HUGE mistake stopping production of the 400...

If you look at the bore and stroke of the new 450 you will see it's virtually the same as the 453 kitted 400's. I can't wait to review the new 450exc/wcw. If it runs like the 453 then KTM has a huge winner. The only downside, the 400 is mighty forgiving a few hours into a nasty technical ride when you're an old guy like me. :thumbsup: I suspect the new 450 isn't.

Just a note here, the 400 will win hands down on lap times too over the 450 and 525. I feel the 400 was likely the best RFS KTM ever made for the hard core racer, the big problem is unfortunetly a lot of guys think the 450/525 will make them faster (99% of the time the opposite is true). Even Mike Lafferty runs a 400 most of the time and he can ride any model he wants.LOL

I have an 05 525 with the H-T racing setup. It runs very well. My buddy has an 02 400 with the 453 kit. I think the 453 hits just as hard as my 525 and revs out quicker. The 453 is totally amazing. Much better bottom and mid than the 450 EXC.

I just bought my first KTM after years of sitting on the bench listening to my riding buddies rave about their woods prowess. After trying out a 450 EXC, 250 XCF-W, and doing some research, I ended up buying a very clean ’05 400 EXC with 2300 miles from an A woods rider who had recently purchased a ’07 250 XCF-W.

Last weekend I was able to get out on some very technical trails to see if the 400 lived up to its billing. Coming out of a WR450, which I liked very much, I was a little apprehensive about downsizing. Well, the good news is that I couldn’t be any happier. The motor is truly amazing - always enough power, but never too much. I know that I am still in the honeymoon period, but I would not hesitate to recommend the 400 to any prospective buyer, especially if you ride any tight woods or technical terrain. It is really easy to see why Lafferty used this bike to great effect. Think less is more.

As far as building the 453, I've heard qreat things about it, but more power would just give me a quicker way to wrap myself around a tree.

Being a 6 speed it is not bad around town either. If I were racing supermoto or riding in Baja, I might want more, say a 530 or 600. However for the riding that I usually do, that is Eastern woods, an occasional enduro, or dual sport ride, it is perfect. Hopefully, KTM will offer them again in ’09 or ’10 when I’m ready for a new mount.

Last weekend I was able to get out on some very technical trails to see if the 400 lived up to its billing. Coming out of a WR450, which I liked very much, I was a little apprehensive about downsizing. Well, the good news is that I couldn’t be any happier.

I came off the wr 426 to a 520, and its amazing how you can ride a lot longer and faster yet feel better at the end of the day with the supper smooth power delivery of the KTM. That High compression motor on a woods bike is a foolish idea. A slight twist on the throttle "hang on"...Let off on the throttle "hang on".

The first two gears are for the birds on that bike. I use the clutch a lot less and enjoy my ride a lot more on my KTM.:confused:

Have not gone "back" as I've never owned a 5XX.

But the ss 400 is a blast and for around $500 and a nights work you can bump the 400 to a 453 (best motor KTM never built) and have the extra grunt and the ss power delivery.

i own a 05' 453. that thing is awesome. it will outpull a 450/525 and it still is very smooth power. i say go for it and you won't be sorry.:confused:

I own a '06 525 and have ridden several exc 400. The best thing about the 400 is that the motor seems boring. It always seems to have the 'right' amount of power. It also revs quicker/higher/smoother than the 525 so in the woods I have to short shift the 525 (make he 2-3) shift between corners and the 400 will scream in 2nd (saving you an upshift and downshift and better compression braking). I wish I had bought a 400, but I thought the 525 would have better resale value.

I have a klx250(not happy) and am selling it, I have always wanted a ktm 250-450cc undecided. I can get hold of a very good ktm400 exc 98 model for $3500 Australian or a 400exc o2' for $6500, is it worth spending the extra money? is the 98 model very different to the 02' model? any input would be great....

PS: not trying to jack this thread, just thought it may fit into the current discussion...

I have a klx250(not happy) and am selling it, I have always wanted a ktm 250-450cc undecided. I can get hold of a very good ktm400 exc 98 model for $3500 Australian or a 400exc o2' for $6500, is it worth spending the extra money? is the 98 model very different to the 02' model? any input would be great....

The machines are completely different. The 02 is based on the RFS engine with debuted in the 2000 model. It's considerably lighter and smoother than the LC based engine. Personally I wouldn't consider the 98.

I had an 02 400 that I put over 20k miles on. It was a great bike. :crazy: I now have an 04 which I'll probably replace with a 450exc-r when FI comes out.

Ud Luz, thanx for the advice, I will go and have a look at that bike in the next few days,,, the bloke said it had an auto clutch and steering damper, it sounds good for the price.

Ud Luz, thanx for the advice, I will go and have a look at that bike in the next few days,,, the bloke said it had an auto clutch and steering damper, it sounds good for the price.

The prices seem a touch high. The 02 is selling for around $6000 US. Are used bikes that high there? An exceptionally clean 02 with damper, Rekluse and plates would be around the $3200 everyplace in the US outside of California.

Regardless, the 02 is an excellent machine if properly maintained and should give you years of service. :crazy: