Sign in to follow this  

Help Build Motard Dream bike

over the winter I am going to go through the process of building up a CRf450 supermoto for use in the summer time, im from maine and nobody around here races motard but all my friends have crotch rockets, I grew up on a dirtbike and prefer to stunt a dirtbike, more comfortable wheelies and stability over the maine roads.....SO I would like some input from everybody that can think of anything to put on a bike. Im leaning towards a black bike with lots of carbon fiber with a trick stealth look and great funcionality, lots of hp and all that. My biggest questions is what offset triple clamp should I run on an 03? I have lots of ideas and lots of cash (banks are real generous):thumbsup:. Lookin to get top of the line parts in every catagory so lets hear what you have and in the spring i will have the project posted on my website (in the process of building it with flash). thanks a lot

I don't know about the horsepower of a CRF450, but if you want to keep up with crotch rockets like GSXRs or CBRs.. you might want to consider an XR650R.. cost about the same as the CRF450 but 25-35% more HP and torque, pretty easily do 100 mph with dirt gearing that allow you to wheelie up with 3rd or 4th gear.

DSC01536.jpg

I would recomend sending the motor out of the 450 to somehwere like RHC or Pro Circuit, have them put in a cam, higher compression piston, new ignigion system and do head work. Then put 17's on it. I would recomend staying with the 24mm stock offset triples so you dont loose any hi speed stability; just slide the forks up in the tripple clamps a little. Also have the suspension revalved for the street. If you are dead set on running different offset triples put on 22mm and run a Scotts Dampner. Last but definately not least get some good brakes on it. You also might want a bigger gas tank for street use.

I actually considered a 650 but I dont like how heavy they are and the way they look, makin it look trick is a big focus outside of makin a fast 450 and circumstances do not allow me to get over 500 cc's so I was thinking maybe a big bore kit.

cost about the same as the CRF450 but 25-35% more HP

Umm no, actually stock for stock, the CRF makes more hp than the XR. Even a derestricted XR is only 52-54hp and it weighs 75 more pounds.