Sign in to follow this  

V-TWIN MOTOCROSS BIKE

wow...looks super trick. power shouldn't be an issue on that ride. i wonder how much it weighs?

In Septembers Dirt Rider on pg. 26 there is an article about it. 449cc V-twin, Dell'Orto feul injection, elec start, 4-speed tranny, and perimeter frame with alloy mounting. It says that powerful and light and also eaiser to keep quiet with the v-twin. That big frame and swingarm look heavy though.

I saw this thing in action in June at the GP in Neeroeteren, Belgium. It was always near the back of the pack in the 250 class, and barely made a sound at all. It was really quiet! I hope they improve on it because I asume it's already the heaviest, and most expensive bike out there. It does look really good though.

I have no idea why it is quieter, before I saw the Aprilia race I thought a V twin MX bike would sound the best of all dirt-bikes. Maybe it does but while racing it didn't sound good. It probably doesn't rev as high as a Honda, or Yamaha.

It's quieter because one large detonation is still louder than twice as many smaller detonations half the size.

That thing would be fun for SM. Isnt there talk of AMA trying to not allow v-twin dirtbikes in MX races?????

Actually, the AMA already did. Honda put a 250cc 2-stroke v-twin in the CR back in 1982. Got the motor outta their RS250 GP bike. AMA smacked that one down really quick. Those 250 v-twin 2-strokes make around 75-80 hp! :thumbsup:

That thing would be fun for SM.

I hope a street-legal version will be available soon!

foto_mag_3_780_1087207202.jpg

There are links to more info in the Exotics forum.

Page 3

Bultaco206 What do you mean " Yep; and it won't just be Aprilia, either"?

There are links to more info in the Exotics forum.

Page 3

Bultaco206 What do you mean " Yep; and it won't just be Aprilia, either"?

One of my racer friends is a VP for a rubber-goods manufacturer that makes OEM engine seals for everything from weed-wackers to locomotive engines. They also supply four of the big five bike makers. He says that Kaw and Yam have MX twins in the prototype stages because his company is developing the seals for it. :thumbsup:

Cool bike. If there is a crossover pipe that would help with some of the noise.

Another thing to note is that a twin 4 stroke would have the same power delivery as a single two stroke, same type of wheelspin and probably better throttle response.