Sign in to follow this  

Lifting Strap?

I'm looking for a solution that must've been used on many other MX bikes. Trailriding usually involves lifting the rear end of the bike several times each ride and our CRF's have both no rear frame member and a thin/flimsy fender. I've been thinking about how to add a simple web lifting strap across the seat bolts and wonder if anyone's already done this and could post some pix, especially of the mounting/bolt detail. Like I said, this could've been done on a 1974 MX'er, not just our current steeds ...

that rear fender is tough...jsut watch out for the muffler if its hot! Grab it right at the flange and it wont buckle...actually it hardly even flexes.

Just use a piece of an old tie down, poke a couple of holes in it and use the existing seat bolts. You may need to use a couple of flat washers too.

I did this years ago on another bike but it was always too high for me to lift with it becasue I'm only 5'7 so i just use the fender.

It's funny because on my 04 250 the fender is very strong compared to the 450 one. I imagine the 05 450 will be the same.

Dang! And I thought you were just CROUCHING in that avatar pic of yours! :awww:

:thumbsup: No, but at least I don't need lowboy pegs or a taller seat. :devil:

The rear fender actually is thicker right behind the seat. It is a pretty obvious hand hold and works well.

A few buddies use a strap as Throttlejockey describes. I always remind them if they could stay on the bike, they wouldn't need the ugly strap :thumbsup:.

I took a section of nylon webbing and put holes in it for the seat bolts to go through. I then melted the holes to keep them from fraying and use the seat bolts to secure the nylon to the bike. The webbing goes between the side panel and the seat brackets. I use it all the time as there is no room between the subframe and exhaust can to fit your hand on my bike.