Sign in to follow this  

Idiots on quads at Foresthill

well, I'd heard this was a problem and this weekend I got to see it for myself; two jerks on quads riding Trail 2 (the one with all the narrow-pass railings and signs about it being off limits to atvs). I caught up to one of them just as he finished bashing 20 yards off the trail to go around one of the barriers. I asked him why he was on trail 2 and pointed to the railing and signs he had just circumvented. The [@#$%&*!] had the audacity to claim that because the 'no atvs' sign had a picture of a three wheel atv, that it didn't apply to him. I asked him why he thought the barrier was there and he just repeated his matra "it says no 3 wheelers!!". I shook my head and rode off. I did later see a ranger and told him about the incident. He asked me for a description and whether I knew where they were parked (I didn't).

If you guys are ever out there and see quads on any of the restricted trails, get a good look at them and give the info to a ranger (even better if you happen to see where they're staged), before they turn what little true single track is left out there into yet another quad-freeway.

I had a similar occurence about a month ago. A couple idiots on quads decided they wanted to brave trail 5 and went down from Forrest Hill road into the creek, one of the idiots ate it and ended up stumbling down into the creek bed, he had to be taken to a hospital. The other one got stuck at the bottom and had to have like 3 of his buddies get his bike out.

I hate when people do stuff like this, they make motorcycles in general look bad and give tree huggers ammo to come after us.

One thing we all might try to do, but is not always easy to do. I carry a sharpie pen in my back pack or fanny pack and ussualy put on a route sheet holder with paper and no cover. I can always make notes about trails, but in this case if you could read and write down thier Green/Red Sticker number and give that to the rangers. We all need to really enforce the OHV rules so we have places to ride. Just be nice and friendly and explain why they need to follow the rules. If that don't work..... :thumbsup:

Thanks for your efforts to inform those idiots.

Kraig

One thing we all might try to do, but is not always easy to do. I carry a sharpie pen in my back pack or fanny pack and ussualy put on a route sheet holder with paper and no cover. I can always make notes about trails, but in this case if you could read and write down thier Green/Red Sticker number and give that to the rangers. We all need to really enforce the OHV rules so we have places to ride. Just be nice and friendly and explain why they need to follow the rules. If that don't work..... :thumbsup:

Thanks for your efforts to inform those idiots.

Kraig

Good idea! If this jerk was so confident that it was okay for him to be out there on his four-wheel atv, I'm sure he wouldn't have minded me writing down his reg. # to give to the rangers :devil: Sorry I didn't think of it at the time.

Saturday (Labor day weekend) must have been quad idiot day in the sierra. We saw a pack of quads and campers at Mace Mills when i showed up at 8 am. they had camped there friday night. the whole camp site looked like white trash trailer folk with these 4 quads. Two of them had been racing around the mace mills staging area early. as I drove up the whole area was full of dust from these morons. There are no places to ride those things at GT. i guess they learned their lesson. when we came back about 1pm their whole camp site was packed up and gone. send em back to prarie city or mamomth bar or hollister :thumbsup: where they belong

They are a menace, especially on tight 2 way trails. I had a headon with some idiot

on trail 1 in Foresthill that was racing his buddy on a ktm into a blind corner, he was all the way

on my side and we hit headon... My bike fell on my leg & the peg crushed my foot,

he ran over both of my rims. No bike damage, 4 pins in foot, 2 surguries, 5 months

laid up... A$$QUADS... :thumbsup:

Speaking of Idiots,

A few weeks back i was up at Forest Hill running trail #7 When out of nowhere is 2 people on horseback?! :thumbsup::devil: Scared the hell out of me. Later i came across a whole pack of them parked off the access rd just above morning star campground. Are these people nuts?

Over the last decade I've run into quad riders at Foresthill on many occasions.

They usually obey the "no quads on this trail" sign, but a few don't...

When they start givin' ya grief, roost the mofos! Send them home thinkin.... :thumbsup:

They are SOOO glad they didnt meet me. I have NO tolerance for that. I would sit there blocking the trail until the ass wipes turned around. No trailer trash monkey is gonna wreck my right to ride with me as witness. I rarely ride there weekends so I dont see the dipwads.

They were most likely part of the 100 mile Tevis Endurance ride group. They tend to go everywhere.

we have the same problem out at baldy mesa/cajon pass. the main trail running east/west along the mesa used to be a decent mix of singletrack and tighter 2 track, now it's hammered and stretched way wide.

the forest service has two new (new as in recently opened but they've been around forever) trails on the north side of the mesa down in the scrub brush that are really, really good trails. nice flowing singletrack with some low river bed-like rock sections.

it's sort of one of those things where i'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts because it's only a matter of time before the quad gods find it and start hammering it out.

i'd love to see the forest service designate those two new trails out there as motorcycle only...who knows?

When they start givin' ya grief, roost the mofos! Send them home thinkin.... :awww:

I like when they look back at you, give their handlebars a wiggle and try too roost you.. Usually quad riders wear no protective gear besides a helmet and have no idea what roost is till i pass them :thumbsup::devil: