Sign in to follow this  

Front sprocket for S model

I just picked up a Renthal 13 tooth front sprocket for my S model. I'm looking for some lower gearing because first gear is WAY too tall. Is this a good thing or should I have gone to a larger back sprocket :devil: I don't know if it will hurt the plastic chain tracks being 2 teeth smaller either :thumbsup:

Also, I guess all I've got to watch out for when I change it is to make sure it's torqued down good and to bend the washer over right :awww:

Lots of folks run 13.. Should be fine :thumbsup:

When you remove the SC nut, do not do so in gear,, just use the chain and rear brake to hold it still.

While it is off, remove the steel spacer behind the sprocket and make sure it is clean, non pitted, ect.. replace if it is.., reinstall the spacer, sprocket, lock washer, and nut.. Make sure the lock washer is over the splines,, and does not fall down to the shoulder of the shaft. add a few drops of Red Locktite brand on the splines of the shaft where the sprocket will fit,, and a drop on the threads for the nut. Install the CS nut to 80 ft lbs,, lever the lock washer over,, Let sit a few hours to over night for best results with the thread locking compound.. Go ride,, Every once and awhile,, Finger your nut :devil: and make sure it is tight :awww: Always clean well behind the sprocket,, build up will cause it to rust/pit and damage the seal.

I just put a 13 on the front and a 47 on the back (stock on the S is 15 front 44 back). I found that this is great gearing on the trails because it was too tall.

I have a short commute to work but it has definitely affected the top speed but I don't go much faster than 50 on the street.

This gearing is great because I like to have the front wheel in the air while riding in the hills.

Enjoy.

I found that after I put a 47 on the back, 15/47 was good for street and desert. Then when it gets real tight, I swap the 15 for a 13. Makes a good woods tractor. :thumbsup: