Sign in to follow this  

Changing the base gasket. New rings?

Can you mark the rings as the cylinder slides off so that they dont rotate out of position? Seems like you could put the cyl back on and have the rings at or within a few degrees of where they were.

If new rings are a must, is honing also a must? Im not particularly cheap, but I could get the job done a lot quicker without having to hit the machine shop. I figure it cant hurt anything, worst case Id have to do the job twicw if the rings arent sealing.

Thanks

S7

Ok good. That way I can get her done in one sitting. I suppose that means to repeat the break in process.

Thanks

Someone had a LTZ cylinder on ebay that was "freshly honed" It looked very nasty. Eeeekkk.

Thats why I asked first too. Would hate to find that out the hard way.

Oooppies..... Mmmmmkay :thumbsup:

Stolen from MT's site.... http://www.mt-llc.com

Nickel Silicon Carbide composite is the technical name for the coating that we apply, NSC for short. NSC is a composite of a special nickel and very small silicon carbide particles evenly dispersed throughout the coating. A photomicrograph is included on this tech page for visual assistance. A good way to visualize the coating is to think of it as cement. The silicon carbide in NSC performs the function of the wear surface and is represented by the rocks. The nickel in NSC would represent the mortar that holds everything together. Due to the hardness of the coating and its silicon carbide content, we must use diamonds to hone the cylinder bore. Diamonds alone will not do the job correctly. Special honing tools and honing machines are also important. Millennium has our own design of honing tool ensuring that all our bores are straight and round within ± .00025". We are also capable of might tighter tolerances in necessary situations. Instead of horizontal hones, we use only vertical hones to ensure that the cylinder bore is square with the deck and that it receives a uniform crosshatch.

its probably not ruined.a real diamond plateau hone could probably bring it back,but only if its still demensionally sound.

its probably not ruined.a real diamond plateau hone could probably bring it back,but only if its still demensionally sound.

True,, but not many have the equipment at home,, so the ready to run :thumbsup::devil:

If it's already been honed to spec for a stock piston,, then some good meaning guy hits it with a ball or ridged hone,, then it is again done with a diamond hone,, It really is most likley no longer at the correct diameter... But I understand what ya meant..