Sign in to follow this  

Tire Question

I am so confused. I did a search on tires and I am just more confused!!! I am looking at getting a tire that is good off road, and safe on the street, that will last long also. Something like a 50% Dirt 50 % street, or maybe 60% Dirt 40% street. I don't know if this tire exists or not. From the reading that I have done so far, it looks like the Dunlop 606 is the best tire for me. What do you guys think? Is there a better tire for my needs? If the 606 is a good tire for me, should I do the 606 for the front and back? Remember, I am also looking for a safe, stable street ride as well. I don't wan't that steering head shake that I read about with certain tires on the street. Please try and help the best you can. Thanks in advance!!!

606 in the front isn't ideal especially on the road. Its better after it wears down a bit... but...

I am running a D606 rear and a Pirelli MT21 Front. Good combo... The 606 wears kinda fast for me....

Maybe its all the wheelies though I dont know I dont think its benificial. :thumbsup:

Metzler Karoo's I've been running em for a year now and find it to be a good all around tire. Kawidual and a few others run em as well. :thumbsup::devil:

I run 606s front and back. I commute 25 miles roundtrip every day. I have had my bike up to 80 mph with no real shake. It used to shake at 68 mph and above so I remounted the front tire and made sure that the balance spot was lined up with the air valve stem. I have not had a problem since.

Do you guys think the Dunlops last longer than the Karoo's? If they are both very capable on and off road, I would want the one that lasts a little longer. Thanks for the replies! Keep the posts coming, I need all of the opinions I can get right now.

I have 606's front & rear. They seem to work OK on the street. But if you will be doing more street then dirt I would go with different tires.

D606 is the best rear Dual Sport tire that I have found so for. I did look at the Karoos, the knobs are way two short for my liking (I usually replace when that short). The MT-21 knobs are close together and a good hard-pack tire.

IMO, the front D606 should come with a steering dampener for trail use, I don't care for is much on pavement also. It does stick when pushed SM style, but feels twitchy on slow turn in.

For now my Dual Sport set up (The Great Smoky Mountains) is D606 rear and D739FJ front. With the right tire pressure and proper balancing, no problems at all with mud and a lot of ROCKS (I do worry about the 739 and rocks), and 70 MPH speeds.

It works for me!

Tires are very opinion based,, the area you ride has a huge impact on tire selection.. Nothing anyone on this board posts is of much use to you unless they ride in your area, and your bike. Find a local biker or 10,, look to see what they are using, ask what pressures they are running.. Ask them what they like and dislike about them,, then buy something,,,,,anything.. and ride,, you will have to decide for your self what works best,, it is a personal choice not to be made by others...influenced somewhat by others,, but not made. :thumbsup:

Take a look at the Maxxis Dualmaxx M7000 tires www.maxxis.com They're ISDE rated and they wear decent. The rear holds up well and doesn't chunk out off road and the combo holds up well and grips good on the road as well. Just remember though, no DOT knobbies are going to stick like a road tire on pavement....unless you go with the Bridgestone TW 301/302 combo...which is a 50/50 tire, but they're still trailwings :thumbsup:(deathwings)