Sign in to follow this  

Question for 450 SX owners

I'm thinking of going orange for 05'. Are you guys happy with your 450 SX's? Anyone come off of a Jap bike? I ride almost 100% MX track. Will I be happy?

Well, I came off a '95 KX 250, and my dad owns a 2000 YZ426.

I know I am happy with the pumpkin. It is not a japanese machine though. Do not expect it to act and handle like one. IT handles like an austrian machine. This is not worse than any other bike, it is just different.

Power, suspention, and everything else is more than on par for every single one of us.

I personally have ridden my dad's 426, a 2003 YZ450F, a 2004 CRF450, and a 2002 CRF450, and I wouldn't trade my KTM 450SX for any of them.

The only thing I do NOT like about how the Honda's/Yamaha's, and them handle, is that they feel heavy in the front. They feel more planted in a turn, but they also feel heavy in a turn compared to a KTM. This is usually why people say they push to the outside. They don't have that planted feel. That said, I personally like that quick reacting feel of the KTM.

Power wise, Honda and Yamaha have NOTHING over a stock KTM.

KTM's brakes are more powerful than a Honda's, (20 mm larger disk), and the KTM comes literally ready to ride, so you need not worry about chains, sprockets, or bars. Get it, and literally race it just fine.

I came from an 03 RM125 before trading to my SX, i've been jap all my life and im never going back. Plus the hydrolic clutch is great.

Dethwshbkr,

I know a lot of people swap out the triple clamps for better turning. Have you felt a need to do this? How about the stock suspension? Have you done anything to it, like valving or springs? How much do you weigh? My local dealer has an 04' leftover but I was really leaning towards the 05' because of the new frame, adjustable triple clamps and revised suspension. There's only about $600 between the 04' and 05' so that's why I'm thinking 05'. Only problem is no one seems to know when the 05's will arrive.

The bike turns great in stock form but I went with 14mm clamps off a 250sx as an expierment and left them on with the 14's the bike will out turn anything on the track. I had to revalve the legs but I'm also 230lbs.

I was told by my dealer the '05 sx will be out some time in late October

My '01 520 I felt didn't NEED it, but they helped with steering when I went to the 18mm offset clamps.

THe '04 450SX I have ABSOLUTELY NO QUALMS about the steering. It is razor sharp.

The '05's come with adjustable clamps stock...

20mm, and if you reverse the stem, 18mm!

How cool is that!!

When did a Honda or Yamaha ever have something that trick??