CRF? the YZ250F is looking good?

I hate to say this after spending $5600 on a bike the Yamaha which I hate is looking real good. When I read their pages I dont see all the complaints like I do with the CRF. This bike terrifys me now. Bad valves, bad clutch, broken piston skirts ect.....

I am thinking of going to a two stroke or the Yamaha for the track. My DRZ still rules on the trails..

I am sure if you posted it for sale here at TT it will go quick.

Post it in cycletrader as well, always have good luck there!

Only thing that matters is finding a bike that you enjoy, and it sounds like you are most happy with the YZF, or your DRZ! Both pretty fine bikes, dependent upon where and how you ride.

:devil:

Thats the best advice one very happy CRF owner can give, and not sure what else you are looking for? Or is this just a "Foghorn Leghorn" post?

?

Good luck!

HR

?

:awww:

How many X/R production bikes do you suppose that Honda has sold? How many complaints have you heard? If you actually knew the numbers, what percentage do you suppose the complaints would add up to? 2%? Take what you hear with a grain of salt. Some of the complaints are valid and others are as a result of poor/improper maintenance. I'll bet there are just as many complaints, albeit undocumented re the Yamaha as there are the Hondas. In the end, you have to make up your own mind. I wouldn't trade my X for any bike at this point. I take care of it and it runs like like a champ. ?

I have a YZ250F and have no complaints with it. My brother has a CR250F and when I ride it I am uncomfortable on it. It really comes down to opinon but I like the YZF riding position and power better than the CRF. If you have a chance to ride them back to back I reccommend you do to really make your descion.

I have had my 250X for about 4 months now and I have been wrenching on it way more than I have ever had to on my 2 year old YZ450. The valves on these are weak and poorly designed, there is no doubt in my mind, I take care of my bikes and perform regular maintenence often. I dont know anybody that does oil and filter changes as much as I do, and I clean my air filter after every ride if there is any signs of dirt on it.

Now on the other hand, My 250X is a blast to ride, it handles great in the tight stuff and it feel so light you can flick it around all day long and not be tired. I really love the bike but the whole valve issue is a bunch of crap. Honda should take care of their customers. I dont care what anyone says, there is a problem with the valve train. I only had about 30 hours on mine when my intakes went to 0. And the "it's a high performance engine" excuse may be acceptable on an MX machine but on a trail bike it is bull, god forbid you take ot on a multi day ride!

Had a chance to ride and compare CRF250, YZ250F and RMZ250. They all are fine bikes, I like the feel of low-end power of RMZ, the handling and beauty of CRF and the exploding power of YZF. I have not heard of any valve issues with Yamaha, but plenty with CRF. Guess there are no issues unless you are within the 2 % zgw8 refers to ?. I can only smile to the discussions about filteroil type and microdust causing the valve problems. CRF's raced on ice hardly get dust, but still have valve problems. I would perhaps ride CRF, but prefer to ride without constant re-shimming and top-end issues. I will pick up a '05 aluframed YZ250 2-smoke on saturday for my buddy who earlier had a problematic CRF, and who just sold his 250F. Do you like to hear comments later about it? BTW - the yami steelframe and tankshrouds do not look good to me, not another bike looks as good as CRF.

Funny you say that. I work at a shop and we have seen 4 of Yamahas (1 01 and 3 04's) with the valves closed up and the bike won't start. ? And 1 03 YZF250 with the top end ruined completly.

We have seen no Honda's at all. I have about 6 hours on my bike now, I don't burn any oil and the bike starts great now that I added the 42 pilot jet.

These bike are race bikes, if you don't take care of them, they won't take care of you. :devil:

Funny you say that. I work at a shop and we have seen 4 of Yamahas (1 01 and 3 04's) with the valves closed up and the bike won't start. ? And 1 03 YZF250 with the top end ruined completly.

We have seen no Honda's at all. I have about 6 hours on my bike now, I don't burn any oil and the bike starts great now that I added the 42 pilot jet.

These bike are race bikes, if you don't take care of them, they won't take care of you. :devil:

Yea Linco, I have this friend of a friend of a friend whose cousin had valve problems once on a CRF250. I hear it all the time.

Funny you say that. I work at a shop and we have seen 4 of Yamahas (1 01 and 3 04's) with the valves closed up and the bike won't start. :D And 1 03 YZF250 with the top end ruined completly.

These bike are race bikes, if you don't take care of them, they won't take care of you. ?

Yea Linco, I have this friend of a friend of a friend whose cousin had valve problems once on a CRF250. I hear it all the time.

so guys, you seriously mean there is no valve issue with Honda but the issue is actually with Yamaha? :devil::awww:?

All 250's, isn't that what we were talking about?

The only thing we see with YZF450's is leaking fork seals.

Oh, and we did get an 04 CRF450 in yesterday that needs valve adjustment done.

Last I heard everyone wanted fast four strokes, well now we got them. Valves are a very high wear item, lets see, ? with a redline of over 13k it might be a little ruff on valves wheather the bike is blue or red. :devil:

yes, the fork seals are a pain in the :devil:. 250s need to be revved more than 450s, and yami's 3 intake valves are smaller and lighter than Honda's 2, that makes the difference? But when hours are full, everything expodes and the damage is total regardless the make, know some yami cases, neclected maintenance. ?

how would you know if your valves zeroed out? it just wouldnt start? is it something you can do while you out? or do you have to take it to the dealership? i dont race mx i just mess around alot with my buddy and our girls go to the track every once in awhile... how worried should anyone be about the valves?? it is worth my time to get all the tools required to set the valves back to spec's? or just ride have fun and when your f***ed your f***ed. wait till the weekend is over and take it too the shop?

When the valves start to close the bike will be really hard to start when its hot. As Novaman said, the valves should be checked every 6 to 8 hours. If the feeler gauge will not go in, its time to buy some shims!!! Hey that rhymes!!! ?:devil::awww:

Actually it's harder to start cold, not hot. At least that's the word from guys who have had it happen to the 450's.