Sign in to follow this  

Loose sprocket nuts on XR400?

My rear sprocket nuts keep coming loose. I've replaced all the nuts with new nuts from Honda, torqued the snot out of them... they stayed tight a bit longer but came loose again after about 70 miles of riding (in the hard packed West).

I'm about to start using lock nuts (which are cheap and will probably do the trick), but was wondering if anyone else has this problem and why? Thanks,

You ARE using the washers between the lock nuts AND the hub, aren't you? Red Locktite(Threadlock now it's called) #271 works wonders. I installed a new chain and sprockets before last year's LA-B2V, and just before the long ride into Las Vegas, we stopped to regroup, and that's when I heard some squeaking coming from the rear brake area. Looked around and found only 4 of the 6 bolts remaining, and those were all loose. I didn't replace the locknuts, when I replaced the sprocket, nor did I Locktite them before I started the DS Ride. Never again!

Just thought I'd share.

Locktite is a vast improvement over lock washers - Locktite will keep the nut from vibrating off even if should get loose (doubtful) whereas a lockwasher will allow a nut to freely come off once it gets past the lockwasher. I have never used a lockwasher since using Locktite many years ago.

I only use Red Locktite for extreme fasteners like an automobile pressure plate that connects to the crankshaft and not much more. Blue should be good enough for any fastener on a bike. Red will really really REALLY make it tough to remove later unless you heat it up. I can't think of any fastner on a bike that would need Red.

Locktite is a vast improvement over lock washers - Locktite will keep the nut from vibrating off even if should get loose (doubtful) whereas a lockwasher will allow a nut to freely come off once it gets past the lockwasher. I have never used a lockwasher since using Locktite many years ago.

Just curious........has anyone that knows "Stuart" heard from him lately?? He's not posted since 09/09/2004.......the above post was the last one on TT.

I had thought he was involved in computer ops with the military/federal gov so it seems "odd" that he's not communicated on TT for over 3 months!???

PM me Stuart if you happen to be in "lurk" mode.........I hope that all is well in your overseas endeavors!! :cry::cry:

'XPLRN'

the stock nuts have metal locknuts on them, at least on my 250 its like that. They should not move once tightened properly.

In the event they are not stock then

Use loctite , this product is perfect for this application.

stu