Sign in to follow this  

bogging on landings

i have a crf 150 with the power up kit, bigger jet and bigger pilot, twin air filter, and baffle out. when i land a jump the bike kind of stutters or boggings but only when i first hit the ground on a landing. any suggestions?

thanks

Are you in too low of a gear and are you giving the bike gas right before you land? If you don't this could add to the bogging issue.

Does the bike bog when you are just riding around?

no, i dont think this is a rider issue. and it doesnt bog at any other time. it sounds like its not getting gas for a split sec. maybe my floats are too low and i dont have enough in reserve in the bottom of the bowl??

Second opition?

Yeah, could sound something like the floats are not free. Maybe you could take your bowl off and see if they're moving free...

Also, check the fuel circuits for any blockages...

I had a similar issue with a xr100 that I had just bought. I had some debris in the bowl...like sand or dirt...and it kept getting agitated when landing and getting up in the main jet...cleaned out the float bowl and blew through the main jet to clear it and all was good...

Good luck!

ok, heres the update, when i put the power up kit in i removed that little white plastic funnel that go around the jet (i just remembered this yesterday). anyway i put that back on the see if that was the problem. i think i solved the bogging on landings problem, but it now raises another.

now, whenever i do a slow first gear wheelie, i mean like slowwww, straight up and down, for more than like 10 to 15 sec. the bike starts to stutter, like it not getting any fuel. it never did this before until i put that piece back in. could it still be a float problem? they seemed to be ok.

thanks.

Did you put the piece back in the correct posistion?

umm, not sure, i put it so that the little cup in the piece would clean the long needle looking drain. i dont know if that is right or not but it seems to fit fine that way.

It should be under the pilot jet. Look at the stickey for a picture if you need one...

The "jet holder", the plastic funnel shaped part that attaches over the main jet is used to help keep fuel from sloshing away from the main jet. Its "correct" position is as Paulie states. The small "U" shaped open area should be mounted so that the floatbowl overflow tube aligns with/in it. It should NOT be aligned over the pilot jet. You can mount this part in a number of positions, but the drain tube will "deform" the plastic part when you install the floatbowl if it is not positioned correctly. Phill, if you remember installing yours with the opening over the pilot jet, I encourage you to take yours back apart and inspect it carefully. You will notice what I just posted to be correct. I am not sure about the 150, but this is probably true for that carb as well....

When I did put it back together it didn't feel like it was pushing into the plastic piece. I'll probably take it apart before I go riding next weekend and take a look.

Bogging on landings…

This sounds familiar to a problem I used to have with my old XR600. Turns out I was experiencing vapor lock as I landed jumps and the power would momentarily cut out. I was able to buy some Ts for the carb overflow tubes and route one high and one low. This solved my problem.

I have not yet ridden my 150 on a track with big jumps so I have not experienced this problem on this bike. If your problem persists, this might be something to investigate. I'm sure someone like Thumper racing sells a t-vent kit and can be a source for additional info.