Sign in to follow this  

Poplar Gulch

Headed over to Cottonwood this weekend to do the Poplar Gulch/Timberline loop.....came up to the trailhead and saw the dreaded "closed to motor vehicles sign". I did the ride a couple of years ago, so I was surprised to see it closed. Anyone know when it closed and why? :thumbsup:

Poplar Gulch Tr is not closed to motorized use. I cleared it in June of this year. The sign may have been defaced recently; there are some locals who are trying to close it to motorized use. Won't happen.

For several pictures of the trail, look at:

Mixed Bag 04 (row 3)

Some signs, including the Poplar Gulch Tr sign, are at:

Signs

BTW, the sign is very misleading. At first glance, it looks as if the trail is closed. But the sign reads:

"TRAIL CLOSED"

and in smaller print:

"To Motorized Vehicles Over 40" in Width"

"Foot, Horse, Motorbike Travel Permitted"

I've asked that these older signs be replaced with the newer State-mandated and USFS-agreed-to standard signs but the local trails guy says "... it takes time to change them all..." Funny how quick they can put up closure signs ...

PS Notice that the sign doesn't say bicycles are permitted....

I guess I learned a lesson..... READ THE SIGN next time! :thumbsup: We approached the trail from the north and I swear it had the bike and the ATV with the red slash through both.

Thanks for clearing this up.