Sign in to follow this  

Tire Changing Question

Should I attempt it myself, or should I take the tires to a shop to install? What tools do I need, and how do I avoid scratching the rim if I use tire irons? How do I balance them.....I want a nice street ride as well as dirt (I don't want it to shimmy down the road)?

For the price the shop charges to mount and balance I will never do it my self again it isn't real hard if the tires arn't real stiff but it still is a pain in the but then you still have to have them balanced it's just not worth messing around with I would also strongly recomend heavy duty tubes at the same time

For the price the shop charges to mount and balance I will never do it my self again it isn't real hard if the tires arn't real stiff but it still is a pain in the but then you still have to have them balanced it's just not worth messing around with I would also strongly recomend heavy duty tubes at the same time

Save the shops for the tough stuff. Invest in some tire irons and figure out how to do it yourself. I look at it like practice for when there's a flat out in the middle of nowhere. If you truly get stuck, you can always take it to the shop. If you can change a bicycle tire, you'll be able to change the m/c tire.

Go on, I have faith in you!

To balance, stick the axle back in and roll on side. The heavy spot will stay on the floor. Do it several times to confirm the spot you need to add weight. Once it never returns to the same area, your done. :thumbsup:

A set of tire irons, 3 is better, and baby powder are all the tools you need.

Agreed. I started changing my own thanks to the folks and support here. Can now change the front and rear pretty quickly. Front is easier than the rear. Just need patience and 3 tire irons. I couldn't do it with just 2. I change frequently from deathwings (street) to mt21 (dirt). Just read the past posts, warm the tires up, get some detergent with water in a spray bottle and some talcum powder and you're good to go. Oh yeah, I just put my tires on some 2x4 so the rotor doesn't hit the ground.

I also mark the position on the tire where the valve stem and rim locks were so it's easier for me to put it back on in the right spot. Haven't had an issue with balancing yet and I ride >55 on the roads. On dirt it doesn't matter although I marked those points on the tires too.

Good luck and be patient. The more you do it the better you get. :thumbsup:

Paul

Dendrz, I am trying to decide between D606's and Metzler Karoos. So I guess I will be more towards a dirt tire.

I just installed the 606 tires front and rear and are very happy with them. Road riding is not bad at all even on the Highway doing 75mph. They are harder then I thought and climb like a Mountain Goat on the rocky gas pipeline trails. If you ride a lot in the woods loose the Deathwings before you get hurt.

When I buy a new tire from my local motorcycle store they put the tire on for free if I take off the wheel and bring the lot in. Easy!!

For aggressive pattern tires you will need to fit rim locks to stop the tires moving on the rims at lower off-road tire pressures so the wheels need to be balanced.

I just weighed the rimlocks before fitting and added that weight opposite and it worked ok, you can then fine tune it.

The saving money on tire changing by doing it yourself is good but being able to fit your tires at home can save your day/weekend.

Here is a good site on the subject.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

And

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-dirt.html

Awesome links! :thumbsup: Thanks!

I started building a tire changing station tonight. I found a 14" donut spare in the ditch in front of the building where I work a few months ago. Being the scavenger that I am, I snagged it (a welder I know tells me 'never throw away steel').

Tonight, I pulled the inside bead of the T115/70D14 tire off the rim and discovered my rear wheel nested perfectly within the changer with no spoke contact... the rim rests nicely atop the rubber auto tire. No scratched rim, no damaged spokes... cool, huh?

Here's a couple pics so you get an idea of the fit:

tirechanger1.jpg

tirechanger2.jpg

tirechanger3.jpg