Sign in to follow this  

Metal

On my bike when i broke it in after rebuild. There is some metal flakes in my oil filter. Ive had them throughout riding my bike. I have a stainless reusable filter and you can see the metal more than a paper filter. Im wondering what the hell is withthis. ive had it for a while. My bike runs excellent so i cant complain and i take really good care of it. I ride it hard. Is this just some wear from the new peices or what........athankya

That is very normal for break in and for a few rides after. If youve ridden it alot then there could be something wrong if you still get the flakes. Also paper filters filter better than the steel ones.

I agree-I would not use the stainless steel filters until the bike has gone through about 3 oil and filter changes because I do not feel that they work as good as paper. Plus it takes about 3 oil changes before the flakes go away. I am on my 4th filter and I have kept all of previous filters. You can really notice the gradual reduction of flakes in the oil from the 1st through the 3rd one. I did not find anything in the fourth one! :thumbsup: