Sign in to follow this  

Does anybody know the intake/exhaust valve timing events on their bike

I was wondering if any of you guys know the valve timing events on your bikes, like at what point before TDC the intake valves open, after TDC they close, etc. Displacement aside, just wanted to see how many of you know these things and what the timing events are. Thanks.

I agree, it just seems odd that horsepower is all in the cam and heads yet nobody really seems to be too interested in cams for these bikes?

Here is a link that will explain the operation of a basic 4-stroke engine for you. The page is hosted by NASA and it is actually a replication of the Wright brothers 1903 engine they used for their first flight. Four Stroke Engine Operation

LOL, I used to design camshafts for chevy's for a living, I know the basics. I was just wondering if anybody here knew what their own cam specs were? Just trying to figure out why I don't see a whole lot of engine mods on these four strokes when there is a lot more to be had out of the engines. Cams are just such a huge part of making power and how power is applied yet I don't see anybody ever ask, talk, about them.

the owner's manual will give standard sizes on the lobes but, not much more. when you get up into racing a little more you'll find more people making those type of adjustments but, for the average rider, the power on these bikes are a handful to start with. mostly you're gonna find the easiest bolt on mods more prevalent. you might do better looking into a specific bike forum to see the mods people have done. :thumbsup:

Never heard it called "events" before, I doubled checked it when I degreed my Hotcams in.