Sign in to follow this  

Stalling help w/ '96 XR400R

Have not been on in a while, but I need some help

Background, short but sweet version.

1996 XR400R - White Brothers 416 kit, WB rev kit, WB cam, Head is ported with new valves, springs and guides last season, WB Header and pipe. built it to run the motard class with my local club and did pretty decent with it.

Starts good, runs good but after about 6 laps (apx 11 miles) it starts sputtering and trying to stall on anything less than 3/4 throttle. Anything above 3/4's is normal. If you roll off it almost dies and won't come back to life till the throttle is all the way open. Been that way since the rebuild and it was really no big deal since the only time I rode it was on the track and there I was pretty much 3/4 or better on the gas all the time. Has always run excellent in the low and midrange right after start up.

I started riding it around in the country by where I live so I could make sure it was ok to sell so I could start on a different project :thumbsup:, and after 10 or so miles, it died. sputter-pop-pop-sputter-pop-pop. I could keep it going on a temp basis by working the throttle all the way open and then off then open again. After it died it would not start right up, but after I let it set for about 7-10 min it would start right back up and go another few miles before I had to repeat the whole process.

Jetting is close to right on but just a touch rich and I have tried both WB and Twin Air filters. Tank and bowl look clean.

Like I said, it did this all last year at the track and it was not too much an issue, trying to go slower it is pretty bad.

Thoughts?

After it died it would not start right up, but after I let it set for about 7-10 min it would start right back up and go another few miles before I had to repeat the whole process.

the only thing i can see here is the resistor located in the spark plug boot or the plug itself, the latter being unlikely. I had this problem on an Xrl i owned. Try and replace the resistor with a brass, stainless or copper rod the same lenght and diameter. You can use either copper pipe 1/8" dia or copper wire #14 folded over a couple of times, whatever works, it does not sound like its a fuel related issue, sounds more like ignition , if you could swap ignition module with a friend i'de try that as well.

thats my take

stu

I have another ignition WB ignition setup and I still have the stock one in a box somewhere too. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see if it helps.