Sign in to follow this  

Back wheel sliding out when hitting a rock - how to handle?

Hi Guys,

First off THANKS!!! My crashes are going down dramatically and I am feeling way safer and more in control using a lot of tips that I am picking up here. :devil:

Second, I have this problem that happens when my rear wheel goes over a 6" rock at the edge of the rock. The wheel slides out and the bike starts going sideways. Usually I can straighten out by opening the throttle a bit. Sometimes like when it happens in a turn that is a bit uphill or downhill, the bike is already leaned a bit and I have to sit down and drop a foot and things rapidly get sketchy. The bike goes down and I end up gunning the throttle because I am holding on for dear life. Me and the bike end up in the bushes in an intimate embrace. I don't have a finger on the front brake and I'm clearly not in control when this happens. What should I be doing to keep the bike up and what should I be doing to not have my weight on the throttle grip so I can pull the bike up?

Thanks in advance guys

Sanj :thumbsup:

Sounds like your ABIT? tense??. You have to have confidence in what your doing and stay loose on the bike, only time on the bike will teach you that!!. While it may sound like an abusive thing to do!, pick your worst terrain and ride the crapp out of it, work on your riding skills and also pay attention to what your bike is doing, take notes as to how your suspention is working, it will take time but as your skills increase + your knowledge of how your bike preformes, you'll find your groove??, or I geuss the happy place where you and the terrain you're riding become equals!!!!!. :thumbsup:

Yeah,

For sure that when things get a little sketchy I tend to tense up. I ride as much as I possibly can but every time that I go back into the trails I make sure that I read up about the issues that I can work on. For sure the fear part is easier said than done but how about the throttle? Should I have a couple of fingers on the brake even when the bike is starting to go down? Or should the bike just not be going down?

Thanks for your time

sounds to me like your bike may not be properly set up, check your race sag. My bike also had a tendency to do the same thing, turned out i had to much rebound dampning in the rear and i didn't have enough sag. when i softened up the rebound dampning in the rear the rear seemed to stop deflecting as bad off of rocks and roots!

might not work for you! every person and bike is a little different. :thumbsup:

Great points. Set up your bike or have someone experienced help you with that. Most beginners I see give the bike way too much gas and lack the throttle control to keep the rear wheel from getting sideways in the first place. Try running the same difficult spot over again after a crash and try to back off the gas and then re-apply it after the rock. :thumbsup:

Great points. Set up your bike or have someone experienced help you with that. Most beginners I see give the bike way too much gas and lack the throttle control to keep the rear wheel from getting sideways in the first place. Try running the same difficult spot over again after a crash and try to back off the gas and then re-apply it after the rock. :cry:

You guys are probably right, I have to get the bike set up properly - it's bouncing all over the place. And obviously my throttle control and reaction time is crap, it will come from experience. I will work on this and repost when I get it wired, maybe save some other noob from a few crashes.

Wicked, Thanks! :cry: