Sign in to follow this  

A few tidbits of interest

I've had the '04 S for about two good weeks now, did a nice long Dual Sport ride on it up in N. Ga. mountains this past weekend so I have a few observations. 1st off the new Baja Designs skid plate was easy to install without the clamp setup of old. It is a noisy bugger though! Man the engine knocks like it has a rod coming out the bottom under acceleration. Took the plate off & the noise was gone, I could still hear it faintly but not like with the plate on. I have even placed rubber strips between fram rails & plate along with foam under the engine, maybe helped a little but not much. I guess I never noticed it on my old "E" since it was wide open all the time off-road. :thumbsup:

The carb jetting stock is somehwere in between crap & decent. It cranks very good cold with little or no choke but starves from mid-range to the top end. I plan on removing the carb & changing a few things but for right now I am simply living with it. Honestly I didn't really notice the extra weight off-road. The Deathwings were suprisingly fair off-road up in Ga. on damp to dry conditions but in the slop they were pure Deathwings. Kept me awake I suppose.

I mounted my Garmin V GPS on the left handlebar using a mini stalk RAM mount from Aerostich, same unit I have on my V-Strom 1000 streetbike. I hard wired the unit to the bikes battery so no AAA battery dying will occur. Worked great on the DRZ, didn't move a bit & was in a handy location. A get-off might not do it so well there but having it on the bike keeps me going slower than usual & that can be healthy. :D I added the Suzuki rear rack, it was not without its problems. The two bolts that go through the rear fender were to short so I had to visit the hardware store for longer bolts. 1st thing I hauled on it was a 12 pack of beer so it is broke in now! :lol:

The Acerbis Pro Rally handguards were a disappointment. The yellow color does not match the yellow on the Suzuki. The white spoilers do match since the bike has some white on it. I should have ordered white hand guards. They work good in deflection of stones & branches. The fit could have been better also but I managed.

I ran it through a couple of heat cycles up to about 200 miles then let it rip! I am at 575 miles now & it runs pretty darn good minus the EPA quirky jetting.

The bike is really alot of fun on twisty sections of roadway. I ambushed a couple of sportbikes up on Wolf Pen gap road in N. Ga. :)Passed a R6 around the outside. He had just blasted me down the previous straight but when he hit his brakes to setup for the curve I never thought of brakes & went on around him. His buddy on a GSXR750 was next in line for the assault. After all this I let them pass me on the up coming long straight :devil: I'm sure they hated the little yellow bike after that. It was all in good clean fun. I roadraced WERA for 3 solid years & when I retired 3 weeks ago I was in the top 5 in 600 expert class so I know a thing or two about passing & being passed. They gave me the finger when they went by :awww: I soon hit the gravel roads right after that excitement. This bike is so much fun on a twisty gravel road I can't get enough of it.

I plan on taking the wheels off this week & checking for the lack of grease in a few places. It already has had its 1st bath. :lol: Cleaning the air filter is on the list. I already changed the oil & filter at 350 miles & all was well. Front sprocket has not come loose yet. The water pump weeeped for the 1st 300 miles or so but has since stopped. Valves are clicking & tapping pretty good but as long as I hear them I'm not to concerned. I might check them at 1000 miles just for a piece of mind. My E valves never moved.

Well that's it for right now bike seems to be a keeper. New better set of tires & a little jetting work & I will be back in business.

Sure not a problem. I will try & post one tonight once I get home from work. I have MSN as a picture host so if that won't work on this site I'll give a link where you can go & see it.

The RAM mount cost $46 with shiping & the extra GPS cigarette lighter plug cost me $23 locally. I had to have an extra power cord so I could take the end off, solder the two wires to a fuseable link then hook the power to the bikes battery, ground is under the seat at the removed seat strap screw. A good friend of mine showed me this setup for wiring (he actually did the wiring for me)& so far it works very good. I have the same setup on my V-Strom except on it I have a lighter plug under the seat & just plug the GPS cord into that. The DRZ is to rough for that setup to work properly.

I can swap the GPS Garmin V from DRZ to V-Strom to truck in minutes. The good thing about the RAM mount is that I can remove the stem & base plate in seconds & all that is left on the bar is the ball base mount which is not even noticeable on a ride. The short stem RAM is what you want the longer stem will work but I personally think it is to long especially for the DRZ's tight handlebar quarters.

Enough of my rambling I'll get a pic up tonight.

Not sure if this will work?

Nope not working oh well here is a link to the folder with the pics of GPS. V-Strom is in this folder also.

Strange I can host pics on other sites :thumbsup:

GPS pictures

Sounds like you're having a good time. :thumbsup:

You're right though, that gps looks like a big target sticking up

like that. :awww:

Here's how I did mine. Funny thing about the RAM is that the middle

section is only notched on one side which severly limits the angle

that you can mount the gps. I used a Dremel and cut out part of my

middle clamp so I could change angles... :devil:

gps4.jpg

Yes it looks like it is a target but suprsingly it works pretty good there. Actually the mirrors are more of a problem than the GPS location. I know my limits when riding with the GPS, I don't ride in tight areas anyway & if I do I am careful not to ding anything up. Fire roads, backroads & open 4 wheeler trails work fine. To me anything any tighter than that I won't be going there anyway. I did enough of the real dirtbike riding when I owned the old "E". :thumbsup: I thought about moving it to the middle portion of the handlebar & angling it upward but that may interfere with the Clarke 3.9 tank I am planning to install next. Not to mention it mught be right over my guage cluster.

Yours looks to be in a safe place. :thumbsup:RAM mounts are tough gadgets, at worst you might break the top plate which is replaceable. The Garmin V GPS is built very solid so I'm sure it'll survive a get off unless a rock smacks it good on the way down. Price of riding off-road I suppose.

I want to mount my legend like that. What mount did you use?

Here's the one I used, and I ordered the SHORT arm. Actually, I think

the short arm comes stock...

b149ga5.jpg

Part number is RAM-B-149Z-GA5

Like a mentioned previously, you will need to modify the arm slightly

with a Dremel to get the GPS to the position in MY picture. :thumbsup:

Decided last night after reading this thread to move the RAM mount & GPS to the middle of the handlebar. Worked pretty well but did block the lower half of the guage cluster, I can't see the buttons unless I lean forward. Not a big deal. There will be a clearance problem once I install the Clarke 3.9 tank in the future. The rise on the bigger tank will surely interfere with the RAM. We'll see as soon as I get the tank. That might be a month or so since I have to leave town with my job so I won't have time to fool with it.

Work sucks!