Sign in to follow this  

New member--question that actually hasn't been asked!

Greetings. I just bought a used 2003 DRZ125 (for $1200--a pretty good price, I think), and I've read through ALL of the posts in this forum on desnorkeling, exhausts, etc. And I don't think this question has ever been asked ... if you desnorkel, jet correctly, and punch the stock exhaust, how much difference does that make in the torque/power versus desnorkeling, jetting, and getting a new exhaust system from someone like White Brothers, T-4, etc? In other words, will I get 90% of the power/torque gains without having to spend the extra $300 for the exhaust?

What I'm hoping for is some snap on the bottom end. I'd like to be able to crack the throttle in first or maybe even second and wheelie the bike (as an example of more low end torque). Right now, you crack the throttle, and nothing, it just goes a little faster.

Thanks for your help!!!

Greetings. I just bought a used 2003 DRZ125 (for $1200--a pretty good price, I think), and I've read through ALL of the posts in this forum on desnorkeling, exhausts, etc. And I don't think this question has ever been asked ... if you desnorkel, jet correctly, and punch the stock exhaust, how much difference does that make in the torque/power versus desnorkeling, jetting, and getting a new exhaust system from someone like White Brothers, T-4, etc? In other words, will I get 90% of the power/torque gains without having to spend the extra $300 for the exhaust?

What I'm hoping for is some snap on the bottom end. I'd like to be able to crack the throttle in first or maybe even second and wheelie the bike (as an example of more low end torque). Right now, you crack the throttle, and nothing, it just goes a little faster.

Thanks for your help!!!

Unless someone's done those steps in the right order, there's no way to know. I'd guess the aftermarket pipe gives you a bit, but it's not going to transform the bike. I've got a BBR pipe, modded airbox, re-jetted carb and the milder Powroll cam, altogether they make a nice package. The cam made the biggest difference.

I rejetted, densorkled, and punched the exhaust a week or 2 after I got the bike. It did improve torque, I could ride a wheelie in 2nd gear after that.

I just put on the Big Gun exhaust and a K&N the other day, and I noticed even more.

The cheap mods do help, try it out. If you like it, leave it. But take it from me, you will never have enough power; not in a car, truck, or your bike. You will get used to it, and want more.

Have fun!

Thanks. I rejetted and desnorkled and added a Moose filter 2 weeks ago and did notice a big difference. Might still go for the exhaust. But I'm glad that these super cheap mods made such a significant difference.